SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

medical ??... what do high liver enzyme nos. mean?

Sueb20
14 years ago

Okay, I know you guys aren't doctors, but I'm always impressed by the wealth of NON-decorating knowledge here! Let's see if I can make a long story short. We went on a 10-day trip to the other side of the country, I felt fine the entire time, but started feeling sick the day we returned. It was a busy vacation (lots of driving, lots of walking, 3 different hotels over 10 days) so at first I figured I was just tired. But I felt flu-ish. This was July 4-5 weekend. My head was killing me, I thought I had a fever at night (but didn't have a thermometer so can't be sure), and by Sun-Mon I thought I was going to die. I could barely function. By Tues-Wed the headache was getting better but I was still exhausted, sort of foggy feeling, a little lightheaded, and no appetite. I felt very "off" from my usual. And normally I'm never sick for more than 1-2 days. So I went to the dr. on Wed. and they did blood tests. They came back showing I am anemic, which is not new. I'm always anemic, but it is lower than usual -- usually I'm around 32-33 and now I'm at 30. The dr said that COULD account for some of what I'd been feeling. However, I also had liver enzymes (SGOT, SGPT) of 62 and 57, where normal is apparently 2-35 or 2-40, and last fall the same test came back at 16 and 12. Also, my white blood count was 3.1, where last fall (when I felt fine) it was 6.8. Another item on my report (which the dr's office posts online for me to see before they even explain it) was monocytes, not sure what that is but normal is supposed to be 1-10, mine is 12.6, and last fall it was 3. So when the dr. finally called (not my own dr) she said it could still be a virus but it could also be "some type of hepatitis" (I do not have jaundice) and they also want to look into why the anemia is worse. So they are repeating all the blood tests tomorrow, and then I will see my regular dr. on Thurs. Just wondering if anyone has any insight on these numbers, as I'm making myself crazy (and paranoid) trying to diagnose myself. Meanwhile I feel slightly less fatiqued but now have a bit of chest congestion and sore throat. And still low appetite, which is very unusual for me! This is a good summer diet, as I lost 3 lbs. last week, but I hate feeling so lousy and of course, hate looking at these blood-test numbers and trying to figure out what they all mean. Could it all just be anemia? Could it be Hep A even if I'm not jaundiced?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES