SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svejkovat

Sorry for the 'rant'. More substance here. Noisy fridge.

svejkovat
11 years ago

My fridge is almost 20 years old. It's a very basic Gibson. Don't know where it's from but mom used to work at Kmart (she recently passed) so it's probably from there.

It's in mint condition all around and performs very well. Cleaner than showroom and compressor seems to run infrequently, and temp is always perfect. The only issue is noise. The condenser coils behind the back panel in the top freezer section sound like bubbles are being squeezed through them.

It had been worse. I took the panel off to observe and found four aluminum clips had worked quite loose on the coils and the bubbling inside (if that's what it is) generated some micro movement, rubbing and and squeaking the alum fins and sounding unnervingly like a trapped baby rodent moaning and chirping in horrific pain, or the Exorcist played at double speed. Creepy anyway. Everyone who came over said the same thing.

I replaced the clips with heavy black nylon zip ties and exorcised the haunting, thank god, but the coils still sound like they're passing bubbles through some small orifice...like squeezing them through. When it's running, and for about five to ten minutes after the compressor stops, the fridge sounds like a very loud aquarium bubbler.

Is that anything I can remedy? Is it possible to purge air built up in the compressor or lines without risking loss of any precious bodily fluids?

A couple of HVAC forums gloweringly warn registrants that
"Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register."

Anybody find that to be strictly adhered to?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County