SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merrygardener_gw

Another Child Birthday Thought

merrygardener
13 years ago

After reading Polly929's post about birthday parties, I was reminded of what my sister has done with her kids since 2003, having "Adventure Birthday" parties with great success (enjoyed by both her children and their friends).

The "big idea" is that kids offer experiences with the birthday child in lieu of a material gift, to be given sometime in the birthday year. A while back she gave me her "script" which I will share with you all:

"Hope "________" can make it to X's birthday party. X has decided to have an "Adventure Birthday" this year rather than receiving material gifts.

What this means is instead of bringing her a physical gift, you and ___________ can decide what type of simple adventure you can take X on

this coming year. Think of this as a gift card of time with X!

__________ can make a card that explains what the birthday adventure will

be.

Ideas from previous birthdays have been:

Come over and make cookies with me! You choose the type you like!

Come to a community play with me!

Come with me and my family for a hike!

Come and have a sleepover at my house and watch a movie!

Let's go to a movie together!

Let's go swimming together at the local beach!

Let's go ice skating!

Let's go visit some horses together!

Let's go play at the park together!

Let's go to a baseball game together!

If you have any questions about this new concept of honoring X for her life feel free to contact me. If this is new for you please don't hesitate to call for assurance that you won't be the only one showing up without a

wrapped up gift!"

I remember her noting that some years my kids have had a mixture of adventure gifts and material gifts and they are always happy. She usually coordinates with the parent the best date. I know the kids have been so exited when 6 months out they get a call for their birthday adventure. Sometimes the family changes their adventure offer when another fun event comes their way, but she has found that kids have been flexible and have loved any time spent with friends.

Another alternative to our materialistic obsessions! Now, time for me to clear some, uh, "old gifts" (clutter!).

Comments (5)