SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Are you game for karaoke?

User
14 years ago

OK, OK - so it's a pretty cheesy thing to do, but it seems to still be pretty popular in our local pubs, and I'll confess to having made an idiot of myself more than a few times by singing karaoke! Who else among us has done so? We're meeting friends at a pub this evening, and sure enough, Thursdays are "karaoke night". Get a couple of beers in me, and I'm just as likely to stand up and sing in front of a crowd of total strangers as not. Scary, I know.

If you do/have sing/sung karaoke, what are your songs of choice? I've done these:

"Before He Cheats" by Carrie Underwood

"Hotel California" by The Eagles (groan)

"La Isla Bonita" by Madonna

"Blister In The Sun" by Violent Femmes

"You're So Vain" by Carly Simon

"Already Gone" - another Eagles song

Although it's cheesy, I enjoy folks who do it all in fun, and are good sports about it. I think this is slightly hilarious - my oh-so-serious ex once tried to make me jealous (I guess?) by bragging about how the woman he'd started dating (whom he ended up marrying) had won major awards singing karaoke. Major awards? Are you kidding me? I can just picture her, uptight and serious, mic in her hand as she shot the rowdy crowd the stinkeye, while they all continued to toss back their Heinekens and vodka-tonics, growing increasingly drunk as she regaled them with her pipes. LOL! I think the key to karaoke is not to worry about making a fool of yourself. You don't have to have a golden voice -- you just have to be, as I said above, a good sport and have fun with it.

Soooooooo ... confess -- have you ever done it? Would you do it again?

Comments (22)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

Well, to me cheesy means tacky. I'm not sure what's tacky about it. I just see it as having some fun.

Nope. Never done it. Never will. I sing all the time but not in public!!! Yikes that's scarey.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL! OK, maybe it isn't tacky, but to me cheesy means something that's so bad it's actually a little bit good. ;-)

So, you sing all the time but not in public? You're prime karaoke material, my friend. These are the people who sing loudly in the shower or at the top of their lungs while driving. A few weeks ago, I listened to a guy do his falsetto rendition of Prince's "Kiss", and I swear, it's still ringing in my ears. ;-)

My singing voice is probably average at best. I can carry a tune, but I do go off-key every now and then. Oh well. Drink more and I'll sound better to you.

• Related Discussions

games! games! games!

Q

Comments (18)
    Okay, you guys are starting to know me a little too well. No, Moonstruck was not adapted from a book :) But if it had been, it'd be dog-eared on my bookshelf, believe you me! The quote I wrote down is more of a contemporary classic. A hint? Mellors is the name of the hero. Maybe "bane" was a little strong, but it's certainly annoying that Every Single Term, at least one student asks, with wide-eyed tabloid eyes, if Mary M. and J. really did make babies... Have you heard about those historians who have filed a lawsuit, claiming that Brown plagiarized from one of their books? You know, if my academic work were in ANY way associated with that book, I wouldn't advertize it. To their credit, though, they claim that one of the reasons they've filed the lawsuit is because they feel that being associated with Brown's book makes their own work look bad. I like the idea of a "truth-sorter", though :) Sounds like some sort of futuristic, robotic computer device - like you'd find in a "Jetsons" court room.
    ...See More

you can tell when you have played too much train game... when...

Q

Comments (4)
    you feel pressured to play as many games as possible in a short amount of time because you know the end is coming!
    ...See More

Another Game 2 word game!

Q

Comments (149)
    Wilchild, you're good! I was going to change my answer since it was meant to be hard, but you got it :o) Site map
    ...See More

Do you karaoke?

Q

Comments (15)
    I came upon Eli's through Yelp after eating at the Pita Stop you said you prefer (in the comment you deleted) that's not far away (maybe just a few miles?) and finding the food disappointing. Eli's has more ratings and higher ratings than Pita Stop and apparently for a good reason. I think the food is much tastier. The Pita Stop is bigger and would be more suitable for a group but I didn't like the food at all. To each, their own.
    ...See More
  • sweeby
    14 years ago

We did that at my last party! A wine and cheese tasting --
    And yes, we were 'cheesy' on purpose, and sang several 'twisted classics,' including Blue Cheese (Blue Moon), We Got the Brie (We Got the Beat), Marscapone (My Sharona), and Mozarella (Macarena). After a few glasses of wine, it was a blast!

• lindybarts
    14 years ago

I'm a Karaoke "wanna-be" I would love to be able to sing but I have a voice that makes animals howl at the moon. Hubby and I used to go to Karaoke bars alot though because he likes to sing and several of our friends sing also. Now my 9 year old is getting into the act. We got her a Karaoke machine for her birthday. She sings all of Taylor Swifts songs. Hubby goes for "Takin Care of Business","Brandy, You're a Fine Girl", or anything by Steve Miller

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I wish I could do karaoke, but sadly, the opportunity has just never presented itself. I have a good ear and can really belt it out. I also get the coupladrinks effect, so I am a prime candidate. Geez....what am I waiting for?

Jen, Blister In The Sun is my all time favorite song to request at weddings and bar mitzvahs and then dance like a crazy person, such that all the people who thought they knew me go, "Wow, she's even weirder than we thought!" 8>D

• golddust
    14 years ago

Well, I suck at singing. To the point where DD imitates my singing at family gatherings. Uh huh. She makes me laugh until I cry because she has me nailed.

I sang to all my kids and grandkids when they were young. By two, they would put their hands over my lips to silence me or if we were in the car, they'd say, "Don't sing." Except for my GS, who liked my singing. That freaked me out because I thought he was going to be as tune disabled as I am.

Sometimes I think about a song but can't remember the name or artist, so I'll ask DH (knowing he knows the song). *He* can't even *tell* what song I'm trying to sing because I can not carry a tune to save my soul.

Aimee and I have cracked up at the thought of me trying to sing Karaoke. My song would come off like some ancient Chinese wailing song, no matter what popular Karaoke song I was trying to sing.

My mother had a beautiful voice and led the church choir. She must have kept every single singing gene to herself when it came to me. Yes, I sing. At home, right where I belong. :+)

I love music. I can hear it fine, just can't repeat it. We did buy the GKs Karaoke machines for Christmas.

• pbrisjar
    14 years ago

Hubby's extended family is big into karaoke. They bring out the machine at pretty much every family gathering. They keep trying to get me to sing but there's no way. My singing makes folk's ears bleed. Wish it didn't as I love to sing but only when I know nobody will hear. I won't even sing to my bird.

• groomingal
    14 years ago

I used to love karaoke! I don't sing great by any means but it is all in good fun.

My favorite was "Hit Me with your Best Shot" pat benetar

I would do oldies, pop, country- you name it and I could drink and sing it ;)

The best is when you took out the friends that were so reserved but loosened up with a few drinks and would belt out karaoke with the best of them. So all of you "non-singers" here.....we know you can do it!

• golddust
    14 years ago

I'd have to drink straight shots, no ice. And I'd have to know the audience had as much alcohol in them as I had in me. LOL!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

I sang Crazy when I was on Borbon steet in New Orleans, drinking way too much Borbon. (lol) That was in my forty's and I wouldn't do it now borbon or not.

But Jen your still young enough to do Karaoke.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

A few Jello shooters will loosen anybody up enough to get up and sing!!

Not a talent but love to have a good time:)

Rockstar by Nickelback
    Summer of 69 by Kidrock
    Love Shack by B-52's

I once tried the Al Green....I'm so in love with you - nope, not happening for someone that can't sing - that is a hard song without him singing it with ya!!

Smiles:)

• User
    14 years ago

Ha I love to sing and think I sound ok but it's just out of my comfort zone. I've never been drunk enough during a karaoke session to try. I enjoy watching other people do it! I think it's better/funnier if the person can't sing well.

One time at a campground they were having karaoke. My one friend, who can't sing and knows she can't but is crazy, got up on stage and started singing that song "I Can't Dance" by Genesis. SO funny. She was all be boppin up there. I wish I had a video tape. We howled.

I think a fun one to watch would be that Werewolves of London song by Zevon Warren.

• User
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Aw! I'd like to spend an evening with all of you, listening to karaoke and "daring" one another to sing! ;-)

For who knows what reason (I call it the Miller Lite Effect), I chose to sing "No Rain" by Blind Melon last night. Let me just say, it wasn't pretty.

• anele_gw
    14 years ago

Yes, I love it! Pre-kids I would go to a "karaoke box" which is just a private room for you and your friends. You rent it by the hour and you can order food/drinks . . .you can also borrow their instruments, like tambourines and such. It is so much fun. I only know of one place like that-- Korean owned.

When I was in Japan, that type of setup (the private room) was far more popular than the bar thing, which surprised me. The one time I did go to a bar karaoke thing, a Japanese man asked me to sing an Elvis song. Hahaha! I did, but let me tell you, I don't think I impressed anyone!

Oh, and I learned something new recently . . .after you'd sing, you got a score. I just found out (my DH said, "Didn't you know???") that the score was RANDOM. All this time, I thought it was based on something and I would always scratch my head about it!

I think the easiest song to sing is "Eight Days a Week" by the Beatles. Very little range, very catchy . . .you want to do something easy and people will think you're a great singer? Try that one!

• lee676
    14 years ago

I used to play in actual rock bands where I had to sing, so karaoke hardly makes me nervous (although I'm not used to having the backing band never mess up!).

My fave karaoke song was "Be Bop A-Lula" by Gene Vincent, although I sang it more like Elvis would. But I liked to mix it up. I'd do a punk/metal screamer or two, then surprise the audience by stepping up to the mic and crooning a 1950s Sinatra torch song, like "Night and Day". Sadly, I don't have the voice for either anymore. Some would say I never did.

I was at a restaurant/bar on karaoke night one time when I had a very sweet and very cute waitress named Sunshine (or at least that's what her name tag said). So in the most sultry voice I could muster I sang Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine (When She's Gone)" for her. Went over very well ;-)

The easiest song to sing is of course "Louie Louie". You don't even have to know the lyrics!

When did "Blister in the Sun" become so popular? It's one of these songs that was never a hit and rarely heard in its day (1983), yet it's all over the radio now.

• OllieJane
    14 years ago

I have got up and sang once-with 2 other girls at my surprise 30th birthday from work! It was fun-had a few beers in me though. My boss gave the party for me and myself and 2 other girls got up and sang "Take this Job and Shove it!" FUN!

I am on the committee for planning our 30th Class Reunion this summer and we are having it at a small pub and I requested there be Karaoke! I think if will be fun!

Cheesy if fun sometimes! IMO!

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

I did it with 2 other women and we did Stop in the Name of Love. They petered out almost right away, so I had to finish. Terribly, I might add.

However, the highlight of that evening (our softball team was celebrating the end of the season and the fact that we were not, in fact THE worst team) was when my brother got up and sang Material Girl. Imagine a 6'4 280lb man singing "I'm a material girl".

• flowerpwr45
    14 years ago

A few of us did Stop in the Name of Love once, too, complete with dance moves/hand actions. We were swell. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

My younger sister and I sang "Lets give them something to talk about", in New Orleans on Boubon street, it was a blast.

....Jane

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

Once. Stone cold sober at a work Christmas party(no alcohol allowed). I don't even sing by myself- it hurts MY ears. My then boss,male and my coworker also male and I signed up to sing Johnny Cash Ring of Fire Or is it Wheel of Fire idk -not my genre.
    I was laughing most of the time and was choking out the words, we all had a good time.
    I think Louie Louie would have been a MUCH better choice. Or to sit it out maybe :0

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I did karaoke with another girl at a private party but never in a karaoke club with strangers, I only watch ( and groan and giggle) ; I could be a great lipsync impersonator though.

I do love that moment when a really good singer appears on the karaoke stage and belts out a song , people stop talking and listen........

• ttodd
    14 years ago

I've always been shy about singing in front of people (DH is the public singer in our family) but one night unbeknownst to him I did get up in front of a packed bar while he played pool. It was Melissa Etheridge and I was such a dork. The guy asked me if I could take my glasses off and I told him not if he wanted me to see the words. Then I realized I'd picked out the wrong song so he had to start it over again.

I closed my eyes and started singing. DH stopped and turned around w/ a total look of disbelief and I about wanted to die but I kept going. I couldn't look at anyone I was so embarassed. When the song was over the bar was briefly quiet and then people started clapping and hollering. Some even stood up. I wasn't sure if I'd done a really good job or they were all just relieved to see that I hadn't died of a heart attack. I sort of waved and did a dumb nervous courtsey afterward and slunk back to my seat at the bar, hands shaking and there was a beer waiting for me.

Turned out to be a lot of fun and I got invited back!

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH