SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mirrodie

Insulating Ducts, installing in-duct humidifier-please advise

mirrodie
17 years ago

Hello all.

Our home uses forced hot air. Most of the ducts run under the crawlspace of the home and are thus not insulated. Yet...

I read on the energystar.gov site that wrapping the ducts in insulation can help save on heating costs. What sort of insulation would I use? I was at Lowes yesterday and saw some sort of silver foil based material called Reflectix. Is that the right stuff to be using? If not, can someone suggest a type of insulation to use?

Also, we've owned this home 2 years. Before he left, the previous owner said the house is very dry. No humidifier was installed at the time however I can tell one was used in the past since the VERY old Honeywell Humistat was removed but left nearby.

We have a 2 week old son and I am of course concerned with his health. I want to install an in-duct humidifer but with a plan to have the ducts cleaned by a professional first and then I would add the induct humidifier.

My main concern is that of mold and allergy and the newborn and family. Do in duct humidifiers encourage mold and allergy? Some suggest they do.

I look forward to all the sage advice here. Thanks.

Comments (7)