SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pussuskattus_gw

Hardest finish for on-site finished wood flooring?

pussuskattus
13 years ago

I am looking for hardwood flooring for several rooms in my new house, and I can't quite find the right color in a flooring material my DH is comfortable with using (we had 3/4" solid red oak site finished in our prior home).

So I may buy unfinished solid walnut and stain and finish it on-site. (I have natural cherry interior doors, and I think the walnut grain will be beautiful with the natural cherry, without getting too much cherry - my cabinets are also cherry, but stained.) I have looked at Brazilian Walnut (our deck was made of it at the prior house), and I am not really fond of the grain and color - although I could probably stain that, too and site finish it.

The prior finish we used was Minwax polyurethane (that was 15 years ago). It held up quite well, but I am sure there are better choices out there today.

What is the hardest flooring finish I can apply today? Does anyone have experience with it? Any idea how it compares to aluminum oxide finishes?

By the way, we are fairly "kind" to our floors. No dogs, one child (11 years old), and we do not wear shoes in the house. But the wood floor will go into the game room - may have pool balls or other things dropped on it.

Thanks for your help!

Comment (1)