SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Oil Fin portable heater question

andrelaplume2
16 years ago

Our heat pump is old and in temps like we had last night, (9 degrees) with gusting wind it simply does not get the job done. If I set it at 70, the emergency heat runs non-stop. I knock it down to 68 and the regular heat runs non stop but no emergency heat. Trouble is it is actually colder upstairs. It was 62 in our bedroom--likley because we need better insulation, our bedroom is over the garage and always 2 degrees warmer or cooler. At the other end of the house my daughters room was 66 - 67 and my son's room and the spare room was 64. Now this type weather does not happen often and usually the with the heat set on 68 downstairs its 67/68 upstairs. I like sleeping in the cold anyway, but my son was chilly in his 64 degree room.

Which is cheaper, cranking the thermostat to 70 and letting the emergency heat run or just putting a oil fin portable heater in his room and running it enough just to take the edge off. I'd run it on the low setting. Are these safe? Would I leave his door oopen or closed? I figure it should go in the center of the room where nothing would be around it. I picked one up at HD, they were 50% off. I could take it back but figured it might be nice to have at least one of these for an emergency. Thoughts?

Comments (21)