SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julie1218

fired floor guy-no contract-what do i owe him?

Julie Clevenger
13 years ago

long story short--hired a friend of a friend of a friend to do our wood floors, stairs, etc. finals costs always "up in the air." we never signed anything or got anything in writing (i know, i know--what were we thinking?). lots of broken promises cumulating in the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back when he starting using profanity and insulting me when i calmly asked him some questions. so, we fired him.

MY QUESTION TO YOU ALL: does he have a legal leg to stand on at this point since we never signed anything. he did do some work here, but i feel that the deposit we already paid him adequately and fairly covers the work that he has done. he feels he deserves more money. i'm thinking, "um good luck on that." at this point, we have told him to mail us an itemized bill (he never could get around to send an itemized estimate...) with receipts and invoices for any and all supplies that he is billing us for. so, we are waiting on this bill. but again, my question is what are his legal rights to collect from us beyond the deposit we gave him since we have no contract, no signatures, etc.

thanks and no need to berate me on the hiring of this guy. i should have known better and will not repeat that idiocy.

Comments (7)