SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
winspiff

Up to 10 degree difference between bedrooms w/ forced air.

winspiff
14 years ago

Hello everyone,

For the upstairs of the house, there are four main rooms. The front room is about 200 sq ft, two windows to the north side, and at the top of the stairs by another window. There is one air vent. If I set the thermostat at 68, it will be at 65.

The room next to it is 200 sq ft, is sandwiched between the first room and the master bedroom, and has a window to the east. There is one air vent, which an HVAC guy tried to damper down halfway. If I set the thermostat to 68, it will be at 75.

The L-shaped master is 600 square feet and runs along the rest of the east wall. Its closet and bath take up the

whole back wall of the house. There are two windows to the east before the closet, which is on the east/south corner (120 sq ft). There is a window to the west wall of the bath. There are three total vents. The master is also on the colder side when the thermostat is 68.

Finally, the L-shape of the master and a hall bathroom sandwich a 220 sq ft bedroom on the west side. This room was also dampered down halfway. There is one main vent and one small one for its bathroom. It is also probably around 75 when the thermostat is at 68.

The attic floor is covered with 20 inches of fiberglass wool insulation with heating buried ducting everywhere. It is possible that the HVAC guy dampered the wrong vents, as it is confusing to try to find them all up there. He seemed confident, but I have doubts. I spent half an hour up there trying to figure it out and couldn't. Still, what he did hasn't made the issue any worse (or better).

What would be the best thing to do here? The 10 degree difference between the first (65) second (75) and fourth (75) rooms is a real irritation. All the windows are new Harvey windows. Should additional vents be installed? A new zone put in? Better siding added to the house? (It has blown-in insulation, but the walls don't look very thick to me). Should I try to get storms made for the windows (Harvey doesn't sell them)? Have radiators installed for who knows what cost?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio