SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
judithn_gw

Transition to College: Packing up Childhood Bedroom

judithn
12 years ago

Hi Everyone, I have a daughter heading off to college in 4 weeks. She's our eldest. Her younger brother is heading into 10th grade. She will be living in a dorm at a school about 4 hours away from home. All these years, she's had the largest "kid" bedroom and her brother's been in a smaller, cramped room. I flip flopped for a while trying to decide if/when I could move him into her more comfortable room. My husband always felt that once she was living at school we should move her younger brother into the larger room. Our house isn't that big, he needs the space. I am trying to soften the blow by totally redecorating her brother's smaller room, new paint, bedding, storage, etc. so that she loves her "new" room. It is smaller but it's going to be really cute when it's done. I took her out and spent a lot of time letting her pick all new stuff for the "new" room.

I gave her the choice of keeping everything in her "old room" the way it is (posters covering every scrap of wall space, piles of dirty clothes everywhere, typical teen room) and letting me clean it after she leaves or doing it with me and she chose to do it with me. I think she's pretty angry though about giving up "her" room.

I know some of you have gone through this. Do you have any ideas for how to handle it? I want to be sensitive but I also feel like she's being a prima donna here. Also, I have to be sensitive to my son who is chomping at the bit and really excited about moving into the bigger space. I am trying to balance everyone's feelings here...

Comments (20)