SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msventoux

Are glass bedroom doors a bad idea?

msventoux
11 years ago

Does anyone have glass bedroom doors that lead to more public areas of the house? Are they a bad idea if you rarely have overnight guests?

I have two new kittens and an older puppy who seem to be competing with each other as to who can pee on my bed the most often (and nowhere else). The two kittens are locked in their own room when I can't supervise them, and the puppy I'm transitioning from kenneling when I'm not at home to having full run of the house. I know they'll all eventually grow up, but for now I'm keeping the bedroom doors closed.

The problem is that the hallway is really dark as there's no other natural light. I live alone and very rarely have guests who would be using the spare bedroom/office overnight. Plain glass doors seem like they wouldn't really lend themselves to feeling cozy in a bedroom, and I don't particularly like frosted glass, but there's some textured glass doors I've seen that would let in light and obscure the view well enough.

If privacy isn't a huge concern, is there any downside to having glass bedroom doors? Besides doggy & kitty noseprints! There's two bedrooms and a bathroom on this hallway that leads to the living area. I have a very modest ranch house, so maintaining the integrity of the design isn't a huge concern since it's all basic, uninspired builder grade. I also don't plan to move, so resale value isn't an issue. I guess I really haven't seen many examples of this, so I'm not sure if it's a really stupid idea, or just not feasible for most people who have a family or frequent guests.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz