SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Very high electric bill--need help figuring out why

I'm not sure if this is the place to post my question or not.
We have a "second home" fixer upper. I was living there from June until November and our electric bill was minimal. I think my main use of electricity was 2 window ACs and multiple fans in the rooms. I wasn't watching TV but used my laptop daily. We have 2 sumps that run quite a bit due to high water table.

After I left in November, our electric bill has shot up to over $1000 per month! What the current resident does that is different than me is: use of main computer system, much oven use for cooking, 2 TV's on for most of the day, now that it's winter there is baseboard heat on in 2 rooms downstairs-kitchen and greatroom--and in 1 bedroom upstairs. (The remaining rooms have zonal heat, doors are shut and rooms kept at 55.) The thermostats are set to 62-65. He has a couple of space heaters used on occasion upstairs and a bathroom heater in the wall often left on.

What on earth is causing these extraordinary electric bills and how can I isolate the problem? He doesn't pay the bills, we do.

Comments (3)