SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

When the elderly breaks a hip

Oakley
11 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Texanjana's topic but I've been wanting to discuss this with multiple people.

Years ago an elderly friend of mine (70's) broke her hip. She passed away from another cause about 12 months later.

A friend told me at the time that when elderly people break a hip, it's the beginning of the end.

My mom broke her hip back March. She has Dementia. The week she was in the hospital she was almost a 100% lucid! My SIL & I thought it was the extra oxygen. lol.

I mentioned what I heard to my SIL, and her daughter is a nurse and said it's true. My neice works with the elderly. But mom was doing fantastic. Surgery went well, etc.

Two month later I'm told she needs to go into a nursing home and to prepare for her death within the year. All of a sudden she's gone downhill in one full swoop.

What the?? Any of you familiar with this? Why would a broken hip cause the whole body/mind to deteriorate?

It personally scares me not just because of my mom, but because I'm a world class klutz. I can't tell you how many times I've fallen because of something. Just last year I took an awful fall off the porch. It's pretty funny now the way it happened, but geez I need to be more careful! :)

Comments (28)