SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_970892

has anyone had an infected cyst in the parotid gland

littleonefb
17 years ago

I have had a cyst in my left parotid gland for several years. It varied in size from a marble to a walnut. I had been advised to not worry about it. Several dentists, oral surgeons as well as periodontal have all said it was not from anything inside my mouth.

Suddenly, this past Wednesday, I woke up with the cyst enlarged, swollen side of neck and very painful. By Wednesday, late day, my primary put me on Keflex 500mg 4 times a day and contacted an ENT doc about it. The ENT had my primary order an emergency soft tissue Cat Scan and said I had to be on the keflex for at least 72 hours before they could see me and do anything.

The CT showed massive infection in the cyst in the parotid gland. and given an appointment for Tuesday morning to be seen.

Since starting the Keflex, the swelling and pain has gone down considerably and I'm feeling better. No longer running a low grade fever either, but still don't feel well.

The Keflex and my stomach are not agreeing with each other either, but I can tolerate taking it.

Has anyone had this problem and how was it treated by an ENT. I have not found that much info on line about it. What I have been able to find has indicated that major surgery is needed to remove the cyst, yet my doctor had told me that it is usually drained.

I really don't want to have to have major surgery for this. The complications, from what I've been able to find on line, indicate that nerve damage to the face is possible.

I'm also still recovering from major spinal surgery done a few months ago. I can't lay down on my back for more than a few minutes. It was very difficult to be on my back for about 15 minutes for the CT to be done and I had a great deal of difficulty getting off the table afterwards. Not only that I couldn't stand up straight for a couple of days.

So being on my back for a couple of hours for surgery and afterwards is really frightening to me. I've worked so hard to recover from the spinal surgery and get my life back.

Any info that anyone has would be greatfully appreciated.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Top Choice for Reliable Outdoor Construction