Houzz Logo Print
jodi_socal

Swollen Parotid Gland

18 years ago

Anyone ever had a swollen parotid (salivary) gland? It's the gland that sits between the jawline and ear.

Mine is very swollen and painful and I'll probably head to the Urgent Care after work. I wanted to see if anyone else has had this happen to them, why did it happen and how was it treated.

It is only the gland that hurts. It feels similar to when I had the Mumps 48 years ago. There is no pain in my mouth and no aching teeth. My ear does not hurt at all but feels the pressure on it inside and sound is a bit muffled.

I noticed it yesterday morning but thinking back it's been somewhat tender for about a week. It all started after I shelled and ate an entire bag of sunflower seeds. :-)

Jodi-

Comments (62)

  • 18 years ago

    Saw the doctor this morning and he feels it is not a swollen/blocked/infected salivary gland. He thinks it's a swollen, possibly infected lymph node. I was given anti-biotics and pain medication. If I'm not feeling better by next Tuesday, I have to be seen again.

    Jodi-

  • 18 years ago

    My friend was eating lunch and she thinks bit down really hard on the inside of her cheek. It immediately swelled up-to the point it was noticeable to anyone. She almost went to the ER for an allergy. Luckily she worked for a denist that said it wasn't an allergic reaction, but her salivary gland. It seems like he checked it and drained it (??) and it was back to normal in a few days.

  • Related Discussions

    My dog, anal glands again

    Q

    Comments (3)
    I think it is better for the vet to express the anal glands at this point. If you do it slightly wrong, and the glands rupture, you may be looking at a more urgent and more involved surgery. The vet may express them, but if you are interested in having them removed then maybe not. When they are full they are much easier to see to remove. I'd get an estimate from the vet. Only your vet knows your dog's pre-existing conditions (if any) that may warrant a particular anesthetic protocol, pre-anesthestic testing, etc. Also you need to discuss the risks of surgery with your vet. BTW, I expressed the anal glands of a dog with an impaction and infection once. They ruptured and it was heck getting the dog into good enough shape for surgical removal of the glands- many weeks of topical and systemic antibiotics. I won't make that mistake again... My SIL's dog had her anal glands removed and it really saved Nanette a lot of trouble throughout her life. I hope it goes as well with your dog.
    ...See More

    Swollen salivary glands, excessive tarter,incontinence& coccidia

    Q

    Comments (7)
    Ask your vet for ponazuril instead of albon for the coccidia. Ponazuril actually kills coccidia, unlike albon (albendazole) which is only a coccidiastat (inhibits growth). Most coccidia we have been seeing is very resistant to albon now, but we've been permanently curing dogs and cats of coccidia with ponazuril. If your vet is unfamiliar with this medication s/he can get the info from me. Ponazuril is actually a medication for horses used to treat ECM. I also use it on rabbits for E. cunniculi.
    ...See More

    What's for dinner Thursday?

    Q

    Comments (10)
    Glenda, won't be long before I can have a 5 guys, Adding it to my "have to eat" list. Too bad about your therapy. You must have been disappointed. But a fresh haircut probably made you feel much better! :-) Sue, I would love to see the shelves where you keep all your canned things. I bet it's a thing of beauty!! Shirley, I'm raiding our freezer tomorrow. I know I have meatballs I made but didn't cook. Froze on a cookie sheet and then sealed them. In fact, I have more cooked frozen food than raw. I've been saving for hurricane season. Georgysmom, glad you found a marble slab you liked. I think that would be hard with so many to choose from. Cheers for you and not having to cook three nights. We all need a break once in a while. Sweet Betsy, I swear it takes longer to prep a room to paint than it does to paint it. It's not a job I care for, either. Have fun painting LOL! Raven, a tortilla wrap sounds good. So does the cheese and grapes. DH still in training? Lucky duck! Terri, your boys don't know how great they have it!! That sounds wonderful!! Especially the pancakes.
    ...See More

    Herbs for Sjorgren's disease?

    Q

    Comments (0)
    Is an herb that will make a swollen saliva gland heal? It's been swollen for 9 months now. I was diagnosed with Sjorgren's disease.
    ...See More
  • 18 years ago

    I had that last year,thought i had the Mumps.Doc told me to suck on those lemon sour candies,and i think he gave me some meds,can't remember what though.
    Kathi

  • 18 years ago

    Update on my Throat Problem. I went to the Doctor after trying Prylosec, Benadryl and Nasal Sprays and still having pain. No temp no infection. Just the coughing, hacking and sneezing. Coughing so hard that I throw up. It has been so annoying.

    Today the Doctor gave me a Steriod Injection, if it doesn't clear up in 10 days I go to a ENT for tests.

    I'm praying this works.

    Gayle

  • 18 years ago

    Jody (and Gayle, if you see this), are you all better now?

    Susan

  • 18 years ago

    I just got through with this. My doctor prescribed an antibiotic and told me to suck on sour candy.

  • 18 years ago

    Thanks for asking MaryGail, it's been 10 days and I'm just about done with my anti-biotics. The pain has subsided and about 90% of the swelling. I should be good as new in a few days. Okay, not "good as new", that would be unrealistic, but pretty darn close. :-)

    Jodi-

  • 18 years ago

    Glad you are better Jodi.

    I am still battling this crazy "thorn" in my throat feeling. Tomorrow it will be 10 days since my Steroid Shot. I'm surpose to call for an appointment if it isn't better. I'm not sure but it might be a tad better. I'm gonna give it a couple of more days, just in case, so I don't have to swollow that camera scope.

    Gayle

  • 18 years ago

    Glad you are better Jodi.

    I am still battling this crazy "thorn" in my throat feeling. Tomorrow it will be 10 days since my Steroid Shot. I'm surpose to call for an appointment if it isn't better. I'm not sure but it might be a tad better. I'm gonna give it a couple of more days, just in case, so I don't have to swollow that camera scope.

    Gayle

  • 18 years ago

    Glad you're feeling better Jodi.

    Gayle, young lady, you hurry up and get better too or else git yourself to the doctor.

    Linda

  • 15 years ago

    I had a tooth cleaning and 2 weeks later experienced a swollen parotid gland. Every time I ate or drank anything except water it would swell up and become painful. I was given 2 different kind of antibiotics over a 3 week period that took the swelling down. It took about 2 months for the symptoms to go away completely. My ENT told me to suck on lemons but that didn't help. Both an Urgent Care Dr. and the ENT said they didn't think it was anything to do with the cleaning but I'm really wondering. My health overall is great and I am in my early 50's. I've never experienced anything like this before. Has anyone else had this trouble after a dental exam, cleaning?

  • 15 years ago

    Hello everyone, i think i have a swollen parotid gland and i am not sure what it is from, its not that painful and barely visable but i know its there and its really annoying and worrying so i am just wondering if i should just relax and see what happens in a couple of days becuase i have no other symptoms but that swelling, i amso have my wisdom teeth coming out and maybe its from that, also just got back from a long trip and flight which i may got dehydrated from and when i got back a had a smoke and i thnk that might just made it worse (weed) please someone help me i heard that apple cider vinegar helps with the swelling

  • 14 years ago

    In MY case my chronic parotid gland-swelling (and infections) have been due to "SJOGRENS SYNDROME", an autoimmune disorder impairing the salivary (and tear) glands from working properly (ie INSUFFICIENT fluids produced). As with many autoimmune diseases, it mostly affects females. But I'm NOT female, and have multiple autoimmune disorders (diagnosed at age 53, now 66). The parotid "issues" HAVE to be followed up by you (!!), for while they're often manageable, they CAN BE much (much!) more serious. So you have to be attentive to the problem. Docs needed = rheumatologist, ENTs and even a maxillofacial-oral surgeon. Start w/ a rheumy first and go from there. Good luck. Now that I have found this site, I'll keep you all informed. SJOGRENS-S is a permanent situation. You got it for life..........so don't think you can 'wish it' away.

  • 14 years ago

    I've had this, hurts like heck, apply a hot wet compress to your jaw and take pain killers. Feel better fast!

  • 14 years ago

    How to tell if its mumps - eat a sweet pickle. If this locks your jaw, it is mumps. (I suppose it is the vinegar that causes the reaction.)

  • 14 years ago

    I think my son had a problem with those. The doc asked if he had been sick with a cold or anything and he had been. He said it has settle in his glands and will go away on it's on.

  • 14 years ago

    This thread is from 2008. Sure hope Jodi's issue with her parotid gland is in the distant past.

  • 14 years ago

    Goodness, I remember absolutely nothing of this post. I do wish I had mentioned which side the swelling was on because here it is four years later and I lost a good portion of my hearing suddenly in my right ear back in March. hmmm. I wonder if it's all related.

  • 14 years ago

    Did you end up going to Urgent Care, Jodi? They would probably have a record showing which side the problem was on.

  • 14 years ago

    No, I saw my GP and that was at Kaiser which I am no longer a member having changed to Aetna this year. I might be able to go back though and look through my old records.

  • 14 years ago

    With a blocked parotid glamd, eating a sour pickle will cause immediate pain and swelling....not just mumps.
    I still get a blockage occasionally but eating something sour, enduring the pain and biding my time works well.

  • 13 years ago

    I have had this problem since July. I was at breakfast with some friends and I felt my gland/neck slowly swelling and when I looked in the mirror, I almost fainted at how large they were. That same day my mother took me to the Emergency room and the doctor diagnosed me with an ear infection. She sent me on my way with some ear drops. On the way home my mother treated me to lunch at wendy's and I took one bite of my chili and I could see the look of my mother's face when my glads swelled up like balloons. She took me back to the ER and they did a catscan of my neck/jaw. She suspected salivary gland stones but the scan showed nothing. She sent me home with antibiotics and since then I have been to multiple ENT's and they all say that I have an infection. They send me with antibiotics and then in a couple weeks to a month, it's back again. Ive done everything from a hot compress to literally sucking on a lemon. Even saying the word "lemon" hurts. Some days at work I'll be completely fine and other days it hurts me all day long. What is wrong with me?! I dont want to go back to the ENT or hospital becuase I am STILL paying off bills from the last time, but I do not want to live with this any longer. Any suggestions?

  • 13 years ago

    KHiller, could this be allergy related? That's the first thing that occurred to me when you described two immediate reactions to restaurant meals. If no one has looked into this possibility, I would check it out.

  • 13 years ago

    I've had this condition a couple of times. Warm wet heat helps. I am prone to stones- had a kidney stone many years ago. docs recommend drinking plenty of water- one to two liters a day.

  • 13 years ago

    These and the lymph glands in my neck are often swollen a bit. My MD says 'nevermind', that my use of Advair for my asthma weakens my immune system -- and this is a side effect.

    I was so happy when these glands all 'disappeared' while I was on an antibiotic for pneumonia. But...that's worn off, and they are a little tender again.

  • 13 years ago

    Ok, I took a nap today, and when I woke up I didn't feel quite right, so I thought it may be because I haven't eaten, so I made a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, while I ate it I could feel this swelling in my jaw right in front of my ear. I called my niece who is a L&D nurse, sent her picks she didn't have a clue. (She delivers baby's) so I started researching it. I have no insurance so I can't just call a doctor, so I applied heat and it when down like 90%. I just had a snack Doritos , and bam it swelled within seconds. I feel a lot of pressure in my ear and my jaw is sore/ tender to touch. Don't know what I should do. Going to the ER will only be a temporary fix. Any advise?

  • 13 years ago

    Sounds like a blockage in a small duct of one of the parotid glands.
    I have had that off and on for a long time. ENT doc says there is a surgery but unless the swelling and pain last for over 24 hours not to worry.
    The ER docs won't have a cure.
    Feel better.

  • 13 years ago

    The swelling goes down about 90%, it swelled up 3 times yesterday every time I ate. It freaked me out the first time it happened, I put heat on it and it slowly goes down. I guess I'll just continue doing what I'm doing. If it gets too painful I guess I'll go to the ER. Thanks for replying.

  • 11 years ago

    I had something similar years ago., pain and swelling in neck, just below my ear. I went to my family doctor who manipulated my neck and said it was a "stone" in a salivary gland. He told me to keep a heating pad on it for short periods for a day or two. It apparently dissolved or passed, and it has never happened again.

  • 11 years ago

    I have been having left ear pain for over 8 weeks that comes and goes. When the pain comes I just clinch my fist it hurts so bad . I thought it was an ear infection. Went to Urgent Care. The Dr give me antibotics and pain meds. Did not help. Saw a specialist 3 weeks ago she says it's not an ear infection it's my salivary gland. So she give me a different kind of antibotics and pain meds. As of today I still have the problem. So I have another appt to see the specialist. Not sure what's going to happen. The specialist ask me if there was anything new I have been doing that is different. I said no but this morning I remember that I have been drinking 2 tbls of apple cider vinegar with my water everyday. Not sure if they are related but when I see my Dr I am definitely going to mention it. For now I stopped the apple cider vinegar.


    Magdalena

  • 10 years ago

    I was on a long flight (10 hours) and didnt eat, just had juice and a glass of wine. when i had mangoes after my left cheek, especially under my ear got swollen. Went to see ENT and he told me just to eat lemon to get rid of the saliva. the swell went down, but i noticed that i goes back again if i eat especially those foods that trigger more saliva production. any help on what to do or where to go to know what it is and how to treat this? many thanks...

  • 10 years ago

    Your parotid is blocked. Dehydration may be the cause, so drink plenty of water every day and eat something tart to try to flush it out.

  • 10 years ago

    I have had this all my life. It's a reaction to a certain chemical in food. For example aimines or salicylates or can be related to fructose - eg fruit. I'm not a doctor and have no idea why and i've been struggling with this all my life. Albeit, what i do know is that eating a large amount of plain chocolate. Will get rid of it instantly. However i don't do this often because I'd be the size of a house!


    I would love for a doctor to actually realise that the problem stems from food.

  • 10 years ago

    Help! About 3 weeks ago, I contacted my Dr because I woke up with my right side of my face swollen near my ear. Dx parotiod infection, 10 days antibiotic and steroid treatment. After that, was less swollen, but lymph node hardened and swelling not gone. They did a CT, which I never got to see the result of, then scheduled me for a sialogram. However, I told them that my throat itself was now hurting so they put me back on antibiotic only. 3 days later, I wake up in the middle of the night and I am swollen from ear to ear on my throat, my lips are numb and cracked. Off to the ER, another CT done showed enlarged adenoid, salivary glands, and lymph nodes. They went ahead and did the sialogram, which showed nothing. I was there for 4 days, and they sent me home on more antibiotics and steroids. We are heading into week 4 of this now? I need to get some answers. Do I need to confirm with a dentist, though the CT supposedly showed no access. I have asked my Dr for an ENT referred.

  • 10 years ago

    My advice would be to stop the anti biotics and steroids. They are causing more problems, if not causing the actual swelling. I know mine is food related. I have an intolerance to many foods because I have a leaky gut and I endure similar to anaphylaxis where my tongue, parotid glands and salivary glands swell. It also causes arthritis type pain and discomfort in my body. Have you tried eradicating wheat and gluten? I know this triggers my symptoms as well as diary.


    Antibiotics shouldn't be administered unless you have an infection and I'm telling you, it's not an infection because it would have shown up in your tests. Doctors will continually give you medications to treat the symptoms, but not the cause. It's lethal to be taking them and prednisone if you don't have an infection.


    Change your diet and see if it makes a difference. Get off the medication immediately. These tablets cause long term serious issues.


    Do you suffer any other symptoms? Like swelling of the tummy, bone or tendon pain, memory loss or cloudiness, lethargy, hair loss, diarrhea or constipation?



  • 10 years ago

    Get on some inner health plus and probiotics to heal your tummy. You have striped your tummy of all the good bacteria and you need to restore it. Eat loads of yoghart and take magnesium and vitamin c this will assist with absorbion into your gut.

  • 10 years ago

    Whoa, Elizabeth. Please don't give medical advice--just ask her to talk to her doctor about other possibilities. Believe me, I believe in the judicious use of antibiotics, but I would not give internet advice asking someone to stop without consulting with doc.

  • 10 years ago

    This is going to sound crazy but I have had it twice after eating sunflower seeds. Mind you I ate a lot, the first time a couple weeks ago I has 1 bag on Tuesday and 1 on Wednesday and by Friday I my jaw would not close. I want went to the doc and he fixed me up after a few trys. I figured the sunflower seed thing was a fluke and did it again last week. This time I ate 3 bags, one on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and now I have it again on the other side!!! Something about the seeds, maybe it's the salt. Giving up the seeds...

  • 9 years ago

    Hello Jodi and all, I am having some similar symptoms like many on my right parotid gland. My symptoms include feeling of fullness in the right ear, swelling/fullness on right side of my face, and some pain. My ENT ordered a CT Scan which showed my right parotid swollen. There was no stone or blockage of ducts nor any mass/tumor but the CT showed that I had acute sinusitis. The ENT prescribed antibiotics to combat the sinusitis because he thinks that the parotid swelling is due to the Sinusitis. He has not found any ear problems. Also I think this is not Sjogrens because I have no symptoms like dryness. My right parotid gland though swollen seems to function properly. The swelling is highest during the time I wake up in the morning and slowly subsides as the day goes by. In reality the facial fullness reduces the gland remains swollen as I can feel it with my fingers. Can someone please help me out here figure what is going on? This has been going on since 1.5 months now. I am very scared that something nasty might not be happening with me. Please help!

  • 9 years ago

    Hi Shah, how is your swelling now? I have exact same issue as yours. My parotid is swollen on both sides and it is highest when I wake up and goes down a bit during the day. I do have sinusitis, post nasal drip. I am on antibiotics due to ear infection.i so have impacted wisdom teeth all 4 of my teeth are impacted. Please let me know if yours has gone down or has any other diagnosis.

  • PRO
    9 years ago

    I noticed after I ate a bunch of peanuts the next day mine was aggravated and swollen, I started to think back and every time I eat peanuts it bothers me. Might be getting some of the chewed up peanuts into the gland??? STOP EATING NUTS I GUESS. GOOD LUCK

  • 9 years ago

    Hello all.

    Hope you all are fine now..

    I had same problem in my left parotid gland 3 years ago...the story starts here..

    I am living in dry and hot area..in the month of fasting (Islamic month of Ramadhan) we had 47, 48 degree temprature during summers....and i was performing fast (till 30 days).. l felt savere ear pain and blockage with 80% left ear hear loss after taking bath, and in the same time i was feeling parotid swelling...ENT told me happend because of your ear block and sent me to wash my left ear... They washed my ear and showed me some stones and i recovered from my ear pain and hearing problem...

    But my parotid was still swelled..different GP.s and ENT.s tried to fix my parotid with different antibiotics even lungs medicines but i did not feel any relax...in last ENT specialist advised me to take CT scan amd i scared and did not visit ENT again ..i found some massage therapy after googling...i performed daily basis massage my self...drinked lot of water...eat lot of sour candies and applied hot water presses..and with in 2 months swelling cured 100% .

    Did not come back till 3 years..But

    5 days ago when i was out all the day during 45 degree centigrade temp and my car AC was jammed and stoped ...

    Returned to home and slept.

    Next morning my ear lobule swelled and i am feeling pressure behind my ear lobule..with some tenderness and itchy feeling.

    I am scared again...i dont wanna go to see Gps ENTs again...

    Please advise me...what is this..is this realy related with ear infaction or related with dehydration or extremely Dry and Hot weather?









  • 9 years ago

    What my husband thought was a swollen or blocked gland turned out to be Lymph cancer. He gave up on home remedies and saw an ENT, had a biopsy and was treated for cancer with drug infusions and radiation. He was certified cancer-free last year. Lemon drops and salt water gargles wont cure cancer. See a doctor.

  • 8 years ago

    Hello my name is Krista. I recently found a pea sized lump under my ear by my jaw. A friend of mine recently died of parotid cancer. As soon as I felt the lump I made a doctor appointment and he is stating it's a lymph node. I told him the situation that my friend went to and he said I'll set you up with a sonogram, currently waiting for the imaging place to call me with the appointment. Extremely nervous and don't understand how doctors simply brush this aside saying it's a lymph node. I know what my lymph nodes feel like and this isn't it :(

  • 8 years ago

    Krista, wishing you well and hoping that the sonogram reveals the reason for the lump.

  • 8 years ago

    Krista, i hope it just turns out to be a swollen lymph node. Knowing this by experience if it was your partoid gland you might be experiencing incredible pain. I have had a sonogram on mine and thankfully it isn't cancer. I just do everything I can to rid myself of the stones that are blocked in the gland whenever it swells.


  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for your information

  • 8 years ago

    Anyone have any updates? My parotid has been swelling up everytime I eat for about a week now. I have no pain. Just a feeling of fullness and pressure. It goes down within a few hours but comes back when I eat. It’s only on my left side. The ENT said to suck on lemon drops and drink more water. In two weeks if no improvement, he will schedule a CT scan. I’m SO scared this is cancer but everyone keeps telling me the symptoms wouldn’t come and go

  • 8 years ago

    So, I’ve seen my dentist twice I had swelling in my right gum, he assumed it was a gum infection and prescribed a strong antibiotic, however it didn’t clear, saw him again, it moved more into my gland toward my ear, he took and X-ray but no physical exam and offered more antibiotics, I kindly refused. I saw my primary and she could feel that my parotid gland is swollen on the right compared to the left, also I am on many meds that cause dry mouth due to trigeminal/occipital neuralgia so it’s kind of difficult, what I forget to tell her is I had twitching in the eyelid and my lip was pulling , like a spasm, it only happened one time but very strange and I don’t know if it is related, same side as the parotitis. This is my third round of antibiotics bc I had a UTI in between, I do take probiotics but it’s still a lot. Hope this clears soon.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals