SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charles1218

Converting heat pumps to geothermal

charles1218
11 years ago

We are considering replacing our 4 ton and 2 ton heat pumps with geothermal. The 2 ton system was added to support a new addition about 5 years ago. The evaporators for both units are in the attic. I had a WaterFurnace contractor out today. He recommended horizontal boring for the ground loops. He recommended replacing both units with split systems that would use Freon to connect the outdoor and attic units. He said it was not practical to include hot water heating with this type of system. He also recommended replacing all the existing duct work, adding additional attic insulation, and slightly rearranging one of the air returns. I question whether the new duct work and insulation are needed, since the existing system seems to be working acceptably. The house does have storm windows in the original construction and double pane casement windows and double pane doors in the addition. I do plan to get one or two more estimates, but am just wondering in general if the recommendations of the first contractor seem to make sense. We live in east central Alabama, and our soil is mostly clay with some sand.

Comments (7)