SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Anyone prefer not using moisture/vapor barrier under wood floor?

cinnamonsworld
13 years ago

As we get into the home stretch of picking which 3/4" wood floor to go over our wood subfloor, I wanted to check in to ask whether anyone prefers not to use some sort of vapor barrier underlay?

We have a raised foundation and our thinner oak floors were fine for decades this way. (Also, we've repiped copper plumbing under the whole house.)

I wondered if a vapor barrier could be problematic to drying in an event where the water intrusion comes from above. And also I'm a little curious as to whether a vapor barrier would help or hurt the humidity-related wood-expansion-and-contraction in our case.

We live in a somewhat moist area (of Southern California - so we're not talking Bermuda here), and our crawlspace humidity levels reflect that (normal mold safety levels). Inside the house we use ducted A/C and heat but I prefer some moisture in the air. We may install a whole-house humidifier to keep the winter humidity in the house more in line with the summer humidity level, for the sake of the wood floor.

I could see pros and cons for a moisture barrier. We are looking at either 3/4" maple or more likely now angelim (angelim pedra), an exotic that it at least said by some not to expand and contract hugely and is also termite- and fungus-resistant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some data on angelim in a different application - trailer decking

Comment (1)