SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljsquishy

Acceptable to hear moisture barrier under flooring?

Lisa G
7 years ago

This is a new build on a crawlspace with a floating laminate floor. The laminate has an attached foam pad and even though we're installing over a crawl, still requires a poly moisture barrier.

We're having two issues: in certain areas, specifically around the perimeter of the rooms we can hear the moisture barrier sheeting crinkling when we walk across the floor. It sounds exactly like a plastic tarp crumpled in your hand. The other issue is that in at least 4 small areas there is a lot of flex to the floor compared to the rest of the house. Again, these areas are around the perimeter of the rooms. It's possible there are other problem areas we haven't discovered yet because the majority of the floor is covered in protective cardboard.

Is there any circumstance where hearing the moisture barrier is considered acceptable/normal? I can't imagine so but I thought I would ask. Apparently they've tried to fix the flexing areas from underneath in the crawlspace without any success. Our builder and flooring installer are meeting at the house tomorrow to discuss if anything is considered out of spec to determine if they will fix either problem. We feel the amount of flex in a few areas is due to a non-flat subfloor which created hollow pockets between the laminate and subfloor. Is the only way to prove that is to tear up part of the laminate? At this point we feel that they will try to convince us it's all normal (both the flex and the crinkle sound) so we want to be educated on how to proceed.

Comments (32)