SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karajon_gw

vapor barriers and 'green' sealers

karajon
14 years ago

Hi,

We are building what will hopefully be considered a green home. We are going to start tiling next week and I need to quickly find some non toxic products to use on the tile for my tile guy. I'm not exactly sure if I'm just looking for sealers or colorant, or both, etc. I'm sorry this is so long, my kids are finally asleep and my brain can't figure out how to shorten it.

The tile guy I'm using likes to use Stone Glamour to seal everything. The msds sheet looked kind of scary. I've done a little research and besides avoiding high voc levels I'd like to also avoid the solvents. However, I still want to protect our wet areas, avoid staining, be able to keep white grout white, and since I DID install vapor barriers behind the hardie board in the wet areas I want to make sure I don't create a mold sandwich.

Basically, I'd like it all, oh and did I mention, for a good price?

Here are the specs so far:

SOLAR PORCH this room will warm tiles in winter and release heat at night:

natural multi colored slate tiles, probably will choose a gray grout. I'd like to just bring out the beauty of the multicolors in the slate but I've read there are sealers that enhance and those that leave a topical coat - what do I use? is there a non toxic version available?

MASTER AND CHILDREN'S BATH (Upstairs)

wood look ceramic tile floor, with a gray grout

white gloss subway tile and 6" tile design, with white grout, vitreous ceramic

LAUNDRY (Upstairs)

wood look ceramic tile floor, with a gray grout

probably going to use same tiles for a tile base and finish off with wood molding to hide edge, however forgot to install hardie board to wall here, its just green board.

this room will have a pan liner under tile and no floor drain

GUEST BATHROOM WITH WALK IN SHOWER

matt ceramic 2" octogon with gloss gray dot mosaic for floor, white grout

gloss white diamond and 6" design, SEMI vitreous ceramic tiles, white grout

matt ceramic 2" octogon with gloss gray dot mosaic for shower floor/ceiling, white grout

shower consist of two pony walls and will be enclosed by glass and door.

All the tub/shower have a plastic vapor barrier behind them that we installed ourselves. We did sheets horizontally against the studs with staples and overlapped them like roofing paper to divert any water back into the tub via the lip of the cast iron tub. I'm not sure where to cut off the barrier in the walk in shower, its down to the floor right now. The hardie backer has been installed as well.

Any and all direction is very much appreciated.I also posted on John Bridge, but I'm still confused so I thought I'd try this forum too.

Thank you!!!

Comments (12)