SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Easter menu vegetable?

annie1992
12 years ago

OK, it's time to start planning. I have the majority of the menu set, and there will be either 6 of us or 9 of us. Ashley, Kevin and Madison may or may not be here, Ashley is on call. Mother is coming but Elery works Easter.

So, it's Mother, myself, Amanda, Dave and the kids for sure, maybe Ashley and her family, but Madison doesn't eat many solids yet, since she's 4 months old, LOL.

Any way, I still need a vegetable. Bud hates green beans, Amanda can't eat corn because of her diverticulitis. Every time she's eaten corn she's made a trip to the emergency room, so that's a bad thing. I'm the only person that likes brussels sprouts, and only Amanda, Mother and myself will eat sweet potatoes or squash. (sigh). So, the vegetable is the hardest part of this meal. Everyone will eat broccoli, but only with cheese sauce. Everyone will eat green beans except Bud so that might be mysafest choice and he can eat the salad. Anyone have any flashes of brilliance? Here are the rest of my menu choices:

Herbed beef loin

Glazed salmon with pineapple salsa

Potatoes gratin or scalloped, probably Ann T's recipe

Macaroni and cheese, only so Makayla can take home leftovers, LOL

Woodie's 7 layer salad

Apricot/cream cheese/jello stuff, ugh

Sol's honey rolls

devilled eggs (go figure)

chocolate raspberry cheesecake or

rhubarb pie (Mother's choice)

Easter bunny cupcakes (flavor still unknown)

Homemade ice cream (flavor still unknown)

So, I have my basic parameters, based on family requirements and requests. That vegetable thing is still just sticking there, though.

Myabe Jessica's carrot tzimes? Or be safe and go with green beans? There's already cheese in the mac and cheese, so I don't want to do cheese sauce.

And I'd really like to swap out that jello slop for fresh fruit salad, but with pineapple salsa with the fish, is that too much?

I'm stuck.....

Annie

Comments (44)

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

Asparagus is the Spring-time veggie of choice here.

And I don't think that a fresh fruit salad would be too much, not at all. Just don't put in pineapple if you think that's too much.

Sounds delicious!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks, Helene, I didn't even think of asparagus. Sheesh, right next to the "Asparagus Capitol" and it never even entered my thoughts.

Yup, I'm getting old, LOL, and stuck in a rut!

Annie

• Related Discussions

Your Easter Menu?

Q

Comments (11)
    I just finished my menu too. I'm actually allowed to play with the menu, and there will only be 8 or 10 of us, depending on whether Ashley has to work. Elery will be here, with Dad and Shirley, Amanda, David and the kids. Ashley will be here if she doesn't have to work and will invite the boyfriend. Elery loves lamb, everyone else hates it, but I'm making it for him anyway, probably a small roast or rack. My family always wants ham, and I don't care much for either of them, but there is always so much other stuff that I fill up on the rest of dinner. So, my tentative menu is: Appetizers: Cheeseball for David and Devilled Eggs, dyed a la Marilyn. Meats: Baked Ham and Roasted Lamb, cooked medium. Sides: Au Gratin Potatoes, Green Beans sauteed with bacon and almonds. Salads: Apricot Cream Salad (yes, the dreaded Jello is in there, ick) and Strawberry Mandarin salad with Cinnamon Viniagrette. Bread: Sol's Honey Rolls and Terri's Honey Wheat. Yeah, I'm in a rut. Desserts: A sugar-free fruit tart with a cream cheese base, a chocolate multi-layer cake and a Dairy Queen ice cream cake which is everyone's favorite and will probably be devoured while the others are left. Go figure. The layer cake will be decorated with the panoramic sugar egg I'm working on, covered in fondant and royal icing flowers so it looks like the Easter Bunny hid an egg in the flower garden. Or so my imagination says. LOL Annie
    ...See More

Your Easter menu

Q

Comments (34)
    stacey_mb, I got the recipe from my sister so will include her notes in parentheses. I forgot that the recipe calls for mint too... I've made it without mint and have also added sweet red peppers and omitted the nuts, when appropriate. It's all good. :) Refreshing Minty-Orange Salad 1 lg. can mandarin oranges (10 oz can) 3 cups chopped spring mix (1 bag) 1/2 cup sliced almonds (or favorite nut) 1/2 cup sliced red onion 3-4 tbs. chopped mint Dressing 3-4 tbs. [extra virgin] olive oil 4 tbs. balsamic vinegar 4 tbs. orange juice 1 clove crushed/minced garlic salt & pepper to taste Mix & chill dressing. Pour over salad just before serving.
    ...See More

Easter Menu

Q

Comments (0)
    I completed our Easter Menu. This year we are having: Greek Style Roasted Leg of Lamb with Potatoes Greek Salad with a Greek Dressing Greek Bread Lemon Cake We are so looking forward to it. Its going to be all Greek for us. LOL
    ...See More

Easter/Passover menu?

Q

Comments (55)
    chloebud, I like that, thanks! I never did get a picture of the entire meal, but I did fancy up the banana cream pie by cutting tulips out of the pie crust scraps, sprinkling them with colored sugars and decorating the pie. The crust was Nathan's Never Fail Pastry, thinking fondly of SharonCB, who kindly shared the recipe a lot of years ago. It's the easiest pastry I've ever worked with, and nice and flaky. I also made something that's a tradition in my family, hard boiled eggs pickled in the brine from pickled beets. For extra color I also pickled some in a turmeric based brine and then left some plain, and made them all into deviled eggs. The beet pickled eggs turned red all the way through to the yolks, while the turmeric pickled ones only colored the outside, which surprised me for some reason. And, of course, I didn't manage to take a picture of the turkey, the hasselback potatoes, the sweet potatoes with apples and Italian sausage, the homemade Honey Rolls made from Sol's recipe. I do have an old picture of the gluten free lemon bars, though! Annie
    ...See More
  • lindac
    12 years ago

Always asparagus for Easter!...Either steamed with butter and lemon or oven roasted in a little olive oil and sprinkled with garlic, or quick pan fried in olive oil and sprinkled with toasted sesame seeds.....or wrapped in proscuitto and oven roasted, or steamed and dressed with holandaise sauce.
    Love asparagus!

• TobyT
    12 years ago

Minted peas?

• countrygal_905
    12 years ago

I'm watching this thread because I haven't decided on my vegetable either. I have to feed close to 30.

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    12 years ago

I vote for asparagus, as well. Also, I've been saving a recipe to try from Ina Garten that uses 4 green vegetables - there'd be something for everyone...she blanches green beans, sugar snap peas, asparagus and broccolini (I might use broccoli) and then heats them together in a shallot butter sauce.

Don't know how to copy and paste from this little tablet. Just Google "Green Green Spring Vegetables recipe" and it will come up on the Food Network site. Love the idea of a green vegetable medley.

seagrass

• booberry85
    12 years ago

I'm planning on doing a few different veggie sides. Last year I did roasted asparagus which went over well. This year I'm making a strawberry romaine salad with a poppy seed salad dressing, peas and snow peas with bacon in a creamy sauce and roasted mixed veggies (summer squash, red pepper, mushrooms,zucchini, green bell pepper, Brussels Sprouts)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

Ramps, fiddlehead fern and morel mushrooms will make your Easter meal very memorable.

dcarch

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Asparagus is the only choice!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, dcarch, I like to hunt for morels, I don't really like to eat them. No fiddleheads yet either, or ramps, there is snow on the ground here right now.

I really like seagrass' idea of the mixed green vegetables, I pretty much like 'em all as long as they aren't mixed in with canned soup!

since I think beef and potato gratin is kind of a "heavy" meal, even without the mac and cheese, I like the idea of lots of green spring vegetables, maybe not mixed together but all together on a serving platter and then sauced, so everyone can take their own choices. I, of course, can take some of each. (grin)

Annie

• patti43
    12 years ago

We're having glazed carrots and asparagus as our vegetables. I love carrots and the color works well. And it's so easy!

• User
    12 years ago

I'm doing two Easter dinners this years and finding veggie options a challenge too.

I've decided on asparagus, cauliflower, sweet potato pecan crusted casserole and beets for one meal.

Peas with pearl onions and bacon, ginger honey carrots, scalloped potatoes and yellow beans for the other meal.

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I'm another "oh, you have to have asparagus for Easter!". Maybe a few cut-up raw veggie sticks with dip, too. That seems to be the easiest thing to get little ones to eat.

• lindac
    12 years ago

It's been my experience that unless it is asparagus....no one eats much of the vegetable anyhow. they are too busy with the devilled eggs and the pickled beets and lamb and potatoes and gravy....with thoughts of the carrot cake to come.
    Well....actually if Easter dinner is at my house, people are too busy playing with all the little bunnies and chicks I use as table decorations to eat anything remotely good for you.....

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

I don't want to derail Annie's request, but I just discovered fresh corn from here in FL. Does anyone have a good corn salad recipe? I've resisted them in the past, but with Easter close, I'd like to serve it for the two of us! I'm going to grill half of a turkey breast. Hubs doesn't like ham, and neither of us will eat lamb. Both love turkey.

Big thanks!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Amanda, Mother and I all like vegetables a lot, so I might even add two vegetables along with the salad, although I'm trying to pare menus down so as not to have so much leftover. Yeah, like that's going to ever work in my life, LOL.

The kids could care less, of course, and Dave and Kevin both like the potatoes. Lots and lots of meat and potatoes.

I'd go for beets because I love them, but I've already got boiled eggs pickling in beet juice, a family tradition.

Fresh corn salad? I like this one, but remember, my favorite way to eat corn is right off the cob, standing in the garden. I have this in the summer when the corn is amazing and the tomatoes are fresh and locally available, no other time. Some people don't like their corn raw, so this salad is not for them!

Raw corn and tomato salad

4-6 cups of salad greens, I use spinach
    2 ears very fresh sweet corn
    1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
    dressing:
    1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
    1 T red wine vinegar
    1 tsp pure maple syrup
    1/2 shallot, grated with a microplane (or chopped very finely)
    tiny pinch sea salt

Cut kernels from the corn cobs. Place the greens in a large bowl and toss with the corn and cherry tomatoes.
    In a measuring cup, combine all dressing ingredients and whisk well. Pour over salad and toss gently.

That's it. Fresh and good, but so simple that only the best and freshest produce can make it great. The recipe is actually one of Elery's, he used to be a long distance runner until his knees and hips started giving him problems. This came from one of his runner's magazines, but he doesn't remember where.

Annie

• jeri
    12 years ago

Because Asparagus causes an order when going to the potty (was that delicate enough?) I'm concerned, as the hostess, that I should not afflict this on my guests.

Am I the only one who worries about this???

• sushipup1
    12 years ago

An order? Do you mean an odor? Yes, asparagus gives urine an odor. Anyone who thinks that this is a problem will just not eat the asparagus offered. Not a problem.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I agree with sushipup, it's not a problem for any of my family or friends either. It's pretty much a given, and it doesn't affect everyone, so no one pays much attention here.

Annie

• Islay_Corbel
    12 years ago

Asparagus with an hollandaise sauce would be lovely with both the beef and the salmon.

• ritaweeda
    12 years ago

IMO, if I was blessed with being invited to dinner and there was a food item that I couldn't eat, I certainly wouldn't be in a tiff about it, I just simply wouldn't eat it and not make a fuss. Although a good hostess should try to cater to guests the best way they can, I think it is ridiculous to try to fashion a menu in order to please each and every guest. If you have at least one yellow and one green vegetable and perhaps a nice salad, there will probably be something that each guest can enjoy. By the way, either asparagus or fresh sugar snap peas are a favorite around here for Easter.

• beachlily z9a
    12 years ago

Thanks, Annie! That recipe fits right in at this time of year.

• jessyf
    12 years ago

Another vote for asparagus here - roasted, with a drizzle of balsamic, olive oil, and herbs. I usually steam up a bunch of plain broccoli for those averse. (reminds me of my scuba diving days....those of us who did usually avoided asparagus the night before...wetsuits etc. Note I said 'us' and not 'me', it was discussed at dive school, ha)

Annie I have completely forgotten about my carrot tzimmes....I can't even remember the recipe LOLOL!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

ritaweeda, none of my family complains about anything I make, they simply pick and choose their preferences. However, I'm not going to make something that half or more of my guests won't eat and be faced with a lot of leftovers. Plus, as a hostess, I LIKE to cater to my guests and my family and cook dishes I know they will enjoy.

Islay, hollandaise would be lovely but my Mother is allergic to lemon. My only parameters, health wise, are no lemon and no corn/seeds/nuts that can't be picked out. I know, I'm going to hear that nuts are actually OK for diverticulitis but Amanda spent last night in the emergency room because she ate green beans with almonds. Same thing happens with corn, so there's no sense chancing that.

Annie

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I don't like cooked carrots but do like copper pennies and also carrot raisin salad.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Annie, as a vegetarian who goes to family functions where the vegetables are all swimming in chicken broth and bacon, and the most trouble anyone has went to to make me comfortable is to put out a soggy veggie burger, I think it is admirable and very sweet of you to be so considerate of your guests.

• patti43
    12 years ago

ynnej, Harry's daugther went gluten-free, lactose-free and sugar-free. They're coming for a week and this year the new restriction is "no garlic". What?? I can manage most of it, but garlic? Every year something new seems to be added along with their "don't like" stuff, which makes it very hard to cook for the week they're here. But I have managed so far and will again. You don't want to make them sick so I just consider it a challenge.

I think your hosts could be a little more sensitive. There are plenty of vegetarian dishes that are easy or maybe you could bring your own food--but no fun in that!

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

I think some dietary restrictions are pickiness, whims, diets, or eating disorders with another name, but it sure sounds like Annie's family has good reasons.

Last Easter, I was feeling especially generous and made homemade black bean burgers for my vegetarian (unless it's chicken or fish or sometimes beef or I'm not in the mood to be vegetarian today) mother, and my stepdad burned them to a crisp on the grill. I was so mad!! :-P But to her credit, I think mom choked them down and said they were delicious.

• Lars
    12 years ago

I noticed very large bags of collard greens at the market yesterday, and that is one of my favorites, along with spinach. When I cook collards, I saute them with a bit of onion for no more than 15 minutes, but I remove the tough stem part. In Texas it is common to season them with the vinegar from pickled hot chilies. There are a lot of ways of preparing spinach, and I like most of the ones I've tried. Other vegetables I like to make include frozen petite peas, eggplant, and artichokes. TJ's now has frozen artichoke hearts, but I have to wait for more storage in my freezer before I can buy them. My favorite bean is baby lima, preferably frozen or fresh instead of dried.

Lars

• Rusty
    12 years ago

Asparagus would be the vegetable of choice for me,
    Prepared in any of a number of ways.
    But lightly sauteed in a bit of butter is my favorite.

However, it seems like most young people around here
    Don't care for it.
    Maybe because they haven't grown up with it
    As I have.

So a salad of mixed spring greens
    And a spinach souffle type dish will be served here.

Rusty

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Patti, no garlic would definitely be a tough one. If onions were off the table I would probably give up all together. I usually just eat before family gatherings, but it does break my heart a little to see my favorite veggies in front of me and not be able to eat them because they contain meat. Jess, my husband did the same thing- burnt my black bean burgers on the grill- and they were fantastic. Chances are she was telling the truth!

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Lars, I like collards very much, but never thought of putting the brine from pickled chilies on them, Elery would love that. Unfortunately, the greens here have been pretty lack luster lately. Green beans don't look much better. I also like spinach but with a green salad already on the menu it seemed like a lot of green leafy stuff.

ynnej, how can you tell whether black bean burgers are burned, when they are already black, LOL. Sorry, weird sense of humor that I have, I just cracked up at myself. Yeah, I know....

I like to cook for my family and I like them to enjoy what I cook. I often cook things I don't care for myself and it's a small way to show them I care about them and will go out of my way to do something "special". Other people feel differently about cooking for others, I know, but that's how I feel about it. So, I cook what my family likes.

I occasionally get annoyed, like Christmas when Elery's daughter informed me (as I was preparing a prime rib) that if she saw one bit of pink on ANYONE'S plate, she was going to gag, it had better all be well done. I promptly responded that she'd better look the other way, my part was going to be rare. It's one thing to cook something I know people enjoy, but it's another thing altogether to demand that everyone eat it. It would be like vegetarian demanding that the entire family eat only vegetarian dishes when she's at dinner, or a celiac insisting that all family members eat gluten free. It's self-centered and unreasonable and I won't cater to that.

Annie

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

We are doing ham so will probably have asparagus too and maybe glazed carrots. I love brussels sprouts but DH and DSon will only tolerate them. Also having Minted Orange, Fennel and Red Onion Salad since I have fresh fennel, oranges and mint in the garden. That is kind of like a veggie.
    Clare

• dedtired
    12 years ago

(in fact, everyone produces odorous urine after eating asparagus. However, not everyone is capable of smelling it.)

From Wikipedia (or should I say Wikipeedia)

In 2010, the company 23andMe published a genome-wide association study on whether participants have "ever noticed a peculiar odor when you pee after eating asparagus?" This study pinpointed a single-nucleotide polymorphism(SNP) in a cluster of olfactory genes associated with the ability to detect the odor. While this SNP did not explain all of the difference in detection between people, it provides support for the theory that there are genetic differences in olfactory receptors that lead people to be unable to smell these odorous compounds.

Just thought you'd want to know. I am definitely serving asparagus for Easter! The effect passes quickly.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Aptosca, that sounds really good!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I've never really understood why anyone would avoid asparagus for that reason only. Garlic is much worse for it's lingering effects yet it doesn't seem to get the same attention.

• annie1992
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wikipeedia. (hee hee)

Clare, that salad does sound good, I love fennel. I doubt that I can find any here, but I'm going to look.

Asparagus is very easily found, since it's weeks early. the farmers are just going crazy trying to find someone, anyone, to pick the stuff, the workers aren't here in Michigan yet and in spite of all te job fairs and scrambling, it's a job that few want to do.

Mmmm. Asparagus. I love it.

Annie

• Rusty
    12 years ago

"Because Asparagus causes an order (odor) when going to the potty (was that delicate enough?) I'm concerned, as the hostess, that I should not afflict this on my guests."

As this act is (usually) performed in private,
    I can't see as how it would be a problem to anyone.
    It doesn't leave a lingering, offensives body odor,
    As garlic does.

Now that is a whole 'nother story!
    It seems people will consume copious amounts of it,
    in public and privately,
    And reek of it for days.
    Are they concerned about the effect
    on people around them?
    Is it something people consider
    when preparing meals for guests?

I often wonder about that when reading some of the recipes
    posted on this forum.
    Many really do seem to like to pile on the garlic!

Oh yes, I know it is supposed to be good for you,
    And I can see why.
    Eat much of it,
    And on one will ever get close enough
    for you to contract any illness from them!

:>)

Rusty

• Rusty
    12 years ago

"And on one will ever get close enough "

Should be NO one will get close enough. . . . .

Rusty

• caflowerluver
    12 years ago

Here is the recipe for those interested. Saw it on the Food Network's Everyday Exotic (Roger Mooking- chef).
    Clare

Orange Fennel Salad
    Ingredients
    3 oranges, segmented
    1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
    1/2 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    1/2 bunch mint, leaves picked
    1/3 cup sliced almonds
    salt

Directions
    In a bowl, add oranges, red onion, fennel and vinegar.
    Season with salt and mix well.
    Add mint and almonds just before serving.

• marie_ndcal
    12 years ago

Our family likes peas and carrots. Even the little ones.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Just added some grilled red peppers to the menu.....or I may roast them.

and I have2 fresh heads of USA grown garlic and I am sure all will be used, on the lamb, the salad, potatoes and perhaps in the red peppers.....guess we'll all stink...garlic or asparagus.
    I have never noticed people smelling of garlic....frankly I find cheap and copious perfume much more offensive...Oh that and cigarette smoke.

• mboston_gw
    12 years ago

I made the recipe Green Green Spring Vegetables that was mentioned here. DIL doesn't like cooked veggies but has recently started eating cooked aspargus and brocolli. Since the recipe has the vegetables just blanched and then heated with the shallots, I thought maybe she would try it.
    She did - picked out those two types and seemed to like it. I actually cooked the green beans and sugar snaps a tad longer but they were still firm, just a little tender.

I would definitley make it again.

• ynnej
    12 years ago

Aptosca, thank you for that recipe. I saved it and will try it soon.