SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chris401_gw

New house heat pump in Texas?

chris401
10 years ago

Hi all,

Thanks in advance to the community. Everyone here is great.

We are building a house and the HVAC sub is proposing a heat pumps instead of an AC/gas furnace set up. We need three units (we have three total floors), and the proposal is for a collection of Carrier's Comfort 13 heat pumps to handle it.

My only experience has been with AC/gas furnace. We have a gas at the site, but the HVAC sub thinks heat pump is the way to go for the following reasons: cold season in central Texas is short and mild, heat pumps are cheaper here than comparable gas furnace, and with new construction and spray foam insulation, would need to do extra venting for a gas furnace.

Upgrading to a Comfort 15 or a Performance 16 system (with variable compressor and fan) would increase costs by 9% and 64% respectively.

Can anyone help me understand if this is the right way to go? I am drawn to gas furnace because it is what I know. We have cheaper gas costs in central Texas, but I don't recall the exact rates at this time. And my understanding is that a furnace will heat things up faster when it is really cold, whereas a heat pump will be limited if temps drop too low.

I think it has gotten as lows as the teens here. Typically the coldest it gets is in the 30s and only for a few days.

Obviously the biggest concern in central Texas is cooling and humidity control.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks for your thoughts!

Comments (25)