SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chara_ct

Hot Water not hot enough when heat is on

chara_ct
13 years ago

Over the past few weeks I have noticed that I don't have enough hot water for a bath sometimes and am wondering if it has anything to do with my heat being on at the same time.

I have a forced hot air system and I know that the hot water heater sends water through the system and then the water is returned to the hot water heater.

I have my water heater (which is about 8 years old)turned up almost all the way and usually my water is borderline scalding when I just turn the hot on. The colder it is outside (and I live in CT so it's coooolllddd these days!), the higher I have to turn the water temperature so that I have enough. I understand that the cold water that needs to be heated up is colder than usual but if I have the hot water thermostat set to high, it should heat it up to the same temperature regardless of the starting temperature, right?

Anyway, I was wondering if the issue has something to do with the fact that I have my heat on more lately and maybe it has something to do with the majority of the hot water is being used by the furnace (which is about 15+ years old) so there's not enough left to run a very hot bath.

Thanks.

Comment (1)