SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artlover13060_gw

How do I encourage owls to stick around?

artlover13060
14 years ago

Oh my gosh, these are beautiful creatures.

A few weeks ago we were coming home right after sunset. I walked up the stairs from the basement without turning on the lights. When I got to the kitchen and looked out there were TWO Barred owls sitting on the deck railing! They were so beautiful and sat there for 10 minutes. I think they are half grown. While we watched we saw one or two more flying in the background.

I haven't seen them again until this morning, although I hear them occasionally. I was siting in my chair in the FR catching up on GardenWeb and saw something big fly by out of the corner of my eye. Sure enough, there was an owl perched in a tree at eye level. We stared at each other for a few minutes and then he flew off across the back yard.

Even though I live in a subdivision, it is an old one and my backyard is a wilderness. The old fellow who lives next door has never cut anything in the back so his is even more of a wilderness than mine. LOL. There is a creek that runs across the back of my property and a ten foot barrier of woods between us and the street behind. We also have a bumper crop of rabbits this year. (food source?)

When I see these owls flying they are flying low and straight- about 15 feet off the ground. My guess is that they are searching for food.

If any of you are bird experts. Do you know if there is anything I can do to encourage them to stay?

{{gwi:1513920}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Barred Owl Voacalization MP3

Comments (10)