SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yazk

Small duct branch to keep pipes from freezing

yazk
10 years ago

This may seem like a little odd, but had my contractor done things correctly I wouldn't be in this situation.
We had a very small addition (3ft x 6ft) to blow out our kitchen, but the pipe work that runs in this new area has frozen a couple of times per year. The problem is the new crawl area is totally enclosed from the existing crawl space so no heat can enter there.
There's also no way I can get into the area now without pulling apart the kitchen.
Each time the pipes froze, I used a hair dryer for about half an hour through a 2" hole that happens to be there (the contractors drilled in the wrong place but that's another story).

So I was thinking to prevent it from freezing, I could run a small 2" branch from the HVAC duct that is in the main crawl space. It would only be opened when there is a very cold spell forecast (typically only a couple of times a year).

Do you think this is a bad idea? I would need a damper to shut it off for most of the year but haven't seen any 2" dampers available.

Thank You.

Comments (2)