SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
verybusymom

Need advice on oil boiler

verybusymom
15 years ago

We have a maintenance contract with a local oil delivery company that requires them to replace our boiler should it fail. It has and they will install a thermo-dynamics single section steel boiler for free. They will put all of our old parts back on the new boiler. Over the past two years they have installed a new combustion chamber and burner. They are trying to convince us to upgrade to a cast iron boiler with all new parts and piping (Peerless for $4,900) or a System 2000 ($8,000). They are telling us that the TD boiler will be very noisy and not as efficient since it will have our old parts. To encourage us to "upgrade" they will give us a credit of $500 for the TD boiler. Here are my questions:

1. Is the TD boiler really inferior and noisy?

2. Is it really only $500 to purchase and install a TD boiler? If not what is a more realistic credit?

3. Will I really see a large enough savings and noise reduction if I upgrade to the Peerless to justify the added cost?

4. Will I really see a large enough savings and noise reduction if I upgrade to the System 2000 to justify the added cost?

I plan to stay in my house for the next 5-7 years. Our house is a 2 story colonial about 2700 sq feet with a basement.

Thank you for any advice you can provide.

Comments (5)