SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmhall2000

3 and a quarter hand planed pre-finished or site finished?

lmhall2000
16 years ago

I've got to decide my woods in 2 days...I brought home samples and have gone through the search feature here to see if I can find anything comparing...

questions...

We have 2 dogs (50 & 60 pound dogs)...we have a satin finish on the floors in the house we're selling, sure, there are scratches, but it doesn't kill me and you only see if if you're at an angle...so I had decided to go with a darker wood in the next house...sticking with red oak but putting a chestnut stain on it then 4 coats of poly..

Today I went to look at the flooring, and the wood guy was trying to talk me into the hand planed 3 and a quarter pre finished....it does look pretty, but I'm wondering if the bumpy/lumpy aspects of the hand planing gets wearisome over time...I've always had completely flat flooring with no bevels on the edges of the planks, these have a slight one but the dips of the hand planing look are probably more pronounced than the bevel....sorry too many details...

Would you be happy with prefinished or sand and finish...some have stated having a darker stain will show dogs scratches more, should I go for the natural finish and not stain the dark brown like I wanted??

Thanks!

Tara

Comments (5)