SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Update on my son

neetsiepie
11 years ago

I would like to once again take the opportunity to thank you all who supported us while my son went thru the hell of the incarceration. It meant so much to him to hear from you and to my DH and I to have your kind words.

Jon was released in February and went to live with his sister. Recently he moved out into a big house with 2 other young men and a young woman; he's got a huge room and they share the kitchen/bathroom. He got a job that he absolutely loves-he doesn't make nearly the income he made before he went to prison, but this job has good hours that will fit with his schedule when he returns to school. (He's waiting on his financial aid then will start at the local community college for the time being).

Before his release, he broke up with his long time girlfriend, which was a blessing in disguise. They were just too young to be so serious. We love her, but breathed a sigh of relief when they ended it (we still stay in touch with her). He's not seeing anyone, but has a gaggle of girls who would be willing to be his one and only. He's just not ready for that yet, and that's just fine.

I was so worried about his psyche, but I am pleased to say that he's not lost his sense of humor nor has he become a cynic. Quite the opposite, really. He's always been the kind of kid who everyone loved, and he's like a little ray of sunshine when he is around. His buddies are all a little older, too, now and they never forgot him. Now they all laugh at the 'kids' of 18-21 since they're all so seasoned at 23-25.

The other day Jon and I shared a bit of FB banter...he teased me about my musical choices by suggesting I listen to some band named Golgorth (I googled it, it's a Swedish Death Metal band) So I took it an ran with it...mentioning that I'd coincidentally just downloaded their latest album and that I had planned to name him Infernus but the nurses at the hospital refused to put that on his birth certificate. He got a kick out of that. We had another funny exchange today about a Friday the 13th bonfire/book burning.

Jon has very liberal conditions on his release, basically he's not allowed to have spray paint (even tho he never did spray paint anything), but other than that he's just to pay his fines and keep out of trouble. No problem there!

I'm convinced that he would not be the same funny, bright young man that he was before had it not been for the incredible support we all received from our friends and cyber-friends. He is doing great, and we're still working on a pardon for him. I can't wait for the day we can finally put that horrible 13 months firmly behind us.

So again, thank you all!

Comments (21)