SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Kitty poo

User
9 years ago

We have three cats ages 14, 7, and 5. The middle furkid, weighing in at 22 lbs. of solid big kitty, has been less than thrilled since the arrival of DS two years ago. You could, and still can, see it all over his face. We sent a swaddle blanket home early with my parents to drop off at the house and we tried to introduce slowly.

About 3ish months after DS was born, kitty decided to start going #2 outside the box on occasion. It's maybe happened 10 times during the two year time frame. I was, and still am, pretty convinced it's behavioral but I'm going to take him to the vet Tuesday.

I wasn't sure which one was doing it for a long time until I caught kitty literally getting ready to do his business. Maybe four different times he would act strange and walk around meowing and going near the doors (all our cats are fixed and inside only). Later I'd find a present. Most of the times it's in the hall and a few times behind the couch and once or twice by the side door. Once I figured out what was going on, I believe there was a time or two that he didn't follow through when I paid him lots of gushing attention.

This evening he was meowing in the hall so I went and spent a little special attention time with him which I've been trying to do more anyhow. He was all happy. A few hours later after I came out from putting DS to bed there was a present in the hall right outside his door.

We have one litter box and I know I really should have three. However, I always clean it out multiple times a day, dump and clean the box often, and keep lots of litter in the box. The box is not with their food. The box always had a cover until I removed it about 8ish months ago. About one month ago I bought a new box with higher sides, still low in front. It's as big as they seem to make them. No change in litter. Yes, I have scolded him more than once with finger pointing and stern talking. I've since stopped because I've read you're not supposed to because cats don't understand.........I'd like to look into that more.

Assuming the vet gives him a clean bill of health I suppose I could add another box in the room to start. It's currently in the laundry room. Btw, I use unscented detergent, no fabric softener or dryer sheets. I really, really dislike the idea of having to put an additional box elsewhere, but I'll deal with that if the time comes.

I thought about making a storage bin into a large litter box by putting a hold in the front. Geez, I would hope that's big enough if size is the issue.

Feliway sound like it could work so that's on the list as well.

Don't worry I won't send him outside or get rid of him. And also please know we absolutely do not let DS pester the cats. We'll allow DS to pet the cats gently, say hello, then leave them be. I can't stand when anyone keeps messing with, picking up, chasing, etc. an animal when the animal isn't all for it. I could get on a huge soapbox about this so just please know we don't allow 'that' crap. (Ha, I kind of made a funny.) However, even with that, DS is an active toddler and it's commotion in the house that didn't used to be. All the cats do come out and around during the day. DS has only pet this cat a few times under our supervision, and you could tell he (kitty) wasn't sure what he thought of that.

So have any of you had your cats act like this? Did you overcome? My parents had a cat that started to urinate outside the box suddenly and it was related to a UTI. I also know (now - didn't when this started) poo outside the box can mean medical conditions. I'm going to feel quite horrible if that's the deal. Since it wasn't consistent and happened after DS was born I didn't link it to medical. Oh, and the poo looks normal.

This post was edited by sheesharee on Mon, Jul 7, 14 at 2:31

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022