Houzz Logo Print
maxmom96

freezing cake

16 years ago

In a recent post on baking, it was suggested that freezing a cake may be the answer to time constraints. This brings up a question:

I've frozen completely cooled cake layers for frosting later and I've never been satisfied with them. Something seems to change to make them not as big and lucious as they were before. I also recently made a rum pecan cake and froze that and was very disappointed to find it had almost turned into a pudding consistency. I can understand that that may have been due to all the liquid in the sauce. Next time I'll defrost it completely and pour the sauce over later.

However, in watching one of the reality cooking shows recently a contestant put her still warm cupcakes in the freezer to cool down so as to be able to frost them in the alloted time. One of the judges seemed horrified, saying it that would "change the crumb". I've never heard this before, but it would seem to verify what happens to me when I freeze a cake layer for later frosting.

To freeze, I usually wrap each individual layer separately in foil, and then into a plastic bag.

What am I doing wrong?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County