SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lulie___wayne

The Dreading of Each Special Day

lulie___wayne
19 years ago

Leogirl had asked if we ever get past the dreading. I can only speak from my experiences. My daughter, Christin has been gone for over 6 years. For the first couple of years, all of the special days were dreaded. After we saw that we could survive them and find ways to spend them that were appropriate for us, then they were no longer dreaded.

Since Mom has only been gone for 6 months, this holiday was our first without her. We all missed her terribly, but survived without any major meltdowns.

Today is Mom's birthday. I struggled wondering what I should do for her. For Christin's birthdays, we bought expensive sprays of flowers, sent up helium balloons with cards, had a memorial service, and other things. I don't know if I am burnt out from doing all of that for the past 6 years or what, but I kinda felt like the only ones who were benefitting from our beautiful sprays etc. is the florists. She already has beautiful Christmas flowers and a little Christmas tree.

It hit me that the best thing that I could do for Mom today was to go to the church, light a candle for her and pray. I then left and went to our church adoration chapel and said a rosary for her and then visited her at her grave and then visited my dad who was alone. I think that those things made her happy from heaven.

I certainly wouldn't have had to do anything at all today. If you don't feel the pull to do certain things, then just don't do it. You shouldn't feel that you HAVE to do anything special. Just remembering them in your heart in your own way, is enough. Try not to dread the day. It always has unfolded just as it should for us.

I have to get through New Year's now and then my Mom and Dad's anniversary on January 11. If I let myself, I could develop fear for those days and let it overcome me, but I will not. Those days will pass and we will fill them with Mom in our hearts as always.

Lu

Comments (2)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH