SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pam14_gw

This made me sad

pam14
14 years ago

So I'm in a bookstore tonight, and I hear a mother yelling at her child saying, "Why are you crying?", "What's wrong with you?", "I've fed you already", and the whopper, "Shut up." I hear the child crying, and it sounds like a baby. Since I couldn't see her, I walked around until I could catch a glimpse. It's a young mother (maybe 21 years old), with a baby in a stroller. I'm guessing that the baby was around 5 months old or so. By the time I get there, she had pulled out a bottle and was holding it while the baby was still in the stroller. The baby did not look comfortable. I wanted to say something but didn't want to say something right then because I was seething. I walk around some more so I can still hear what's going on, and getting mad at myself for not saying anything. I hear her saying other things like, "You always want to be held", "I can't do anything", and the oh, so loving, "shut up," again.

Finally, I went back to where she was, and I said, "It's hard to shop with little ones, huh?", and she agreed and smiled a little bit. I also told her that when my kids were that young, they liked to be held a lot, and it helped to push them in the stroller when they were fussy. I asked her how old he was, and she said, "six months." I told her that he was very cute, and she thanked me. She then asked me if I knew where a type of book was located in the store (maybe she thought I worked there?), and I told her to check the information desk. I really wanted to offer to hold her baby for a few minutes so she could find the book she was looking for, but I didn't want her to think I was whack job. The poor baby just wanted to be held and comforted.

The whole thing made me sad, because I was imagining what life was like for that baby at home. If you talk to your SIX-MONTH-OLD baby like that in public, what the heck is going on at home? My heart ached for that baby, and I wish the mother could get some education on parenting.

Comments (21)