SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Rambling on a Tuesday Evening

calliope
14 years ago

We've had a stretch of mild weather. Not warm and Indian summerish, but pleasant if you appreciate the aroma of moist earth and fallen leaves. I heard frogs out by the pond at dusk, and have seen a few large dragonflies skimming over the water. I won't say that helicopters remind me of dragonflies, because I suspect it's the other way around. The insects were here first.

I found a tiny, dead bat in one of my g'houses as I was sweeping it out today and it made me sad. I suspect it was trapped inside the structure when I made the door shut after we stretched new film on it. I've seen a bat flying in there often, and perhaps it slept the summer days hanging under a bench. They look ever so much tinier folded up in death, with its wings tucked in neatly and its little mouse face.

Our spring is again gushing out of the hillside and I have given thanks for its return. I suspect the fish in the pond are thankful as well, as the constant renewal of water from deep in the ground keeps an area of the pond free of ice in winter and for that the deer are also appreciative when they come to drink.

The little 'invisible' chores one puts off forever are now getting done bit by bit. When I come into the house from outside chores, it has a pleasant aroma, like apples or spice. Seeing as how I have quinces and a bushel of apples in the solarium, I suppose it would. My shallots, peppers and herbs are braided and hung at the kitchen fireplace and the oven has been getting a workout.

One can go do outside chores with no coat now, or take off for town likewise to do errands. I have let my dog Tubby come with me, so he can bark at the Angus bull down the road........his passion. My new car stills smells of brand new car, and my little spotted dog has deposited many tiny white hairs on the black upholstery. I suppose had I gotten white interiors, he'd have shed from his black spots. LOL.

I got a sobering reminder that Thanksgiving is fast rolling around, and the feast is at our house this year. I don't have to put much creativity in it, as my family expects the traditional menu in spades. You know you are long in the tooth when a cooking book doesn't even need to be cracked.

My henhouse has been mucked out and fresh straw lain, and the hens are still giving me enough eggs to share, but not drown in. They deserve a rest until spring.

The stars seem to be twinkling exceptionally bright, even on cloudy nights and the moon has been rising orange. Autumn is nice.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions