SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mkotschnig

Help! My new oak flooring has way more active graining than o

mkotschnig
9 years ago

Hello all,

We just replaced a mix of flooring (tile in the hall, stick on tiles(!) in the kitchen) with red oak. The goal was to have it all look as nice as the adjoining existing red oak flooring in the living/dining room area--which we sanded and refinished when we did the new floors. Our flooring guy used a Golden Oak stain and then oil-based polyurethane.

We were away for the week when this was being done (I know, I know...) and I was so excited to get home and see the end result. Unfortunately, the new flooring has much more active, prominent graining than the old (it's kind of psychedelic!), and not only does it look different from the adjacent flooring, but it's just way too "active" for my liking (see old vs. new floor transition in photo below. Floor is actually more gold in color than this pic shows, but you get the gist).

My question is this: I know of course that staining brings out any grain more. I don't want to have to do this, but if we had it re-sanded and just put coats of oil-based poly down, would it help minimize the wild graining (enough to make it worth it)? Are there any other options available to us?

A second question is, why is this wood so much more grainy? He used "select or better," which I would assume wouldn't have quite so much graining to it, but I am new to this.

Appreciate your thoughts on this, and thanks!

Comments (9)