SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
muscat_gw

remove old vinyl or not?

muscat
16 years ago

I'll be started a kitchen remodel soon, and the old vinyl floors will be replaced with either new vinyl or laminate, most likely. The floor plan is changing just a bit, so the "footprint" for the new floor will not match the current floor. I planned to tear out the old floor, and start from scratch. I have a slab foundation, and I dont know what else is under the vinyl. One flooring sales rep said that if the footprint is changing, it probably is simplest to tear everything out, as I planned. Another said to leave the vinyl, and patch where needed to keep the floor level, then put the new floor (vinyl or laminate) over the old vinyl. He said this was best since it ensures a better moisture barrier and is easier.

I'm planning on doing demolition myself, and if sheet vinyl goes in that will be done professionally, but if laminate goes in, I'll do it. I tried peeling up a bit of the vinyl in one coved corner to see what was underneath, and I really cannot tell. "Something" was coved with the vinyl- it looks a bit like cork, is firm, but I can push a blade into it.

{{gwi:1549740}}

{{gwi:1549741}}

So do I leave the vinyl and patch around it? I'm worried that if I start tearing things up, and the floor below has issues, that I'll wish I left it alone, but starting with a clean slate makes some sense to me. Since the edges are coved, it may be a bit messy to try to leave a smooth, nice edge behind to then have to patch up.

Comments (5)