SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rpfingsten

electric rates / fuel charges

rpfingsten
15 years ago

Hey guys, have a question about "fuel charges" with regard to electricity rates. To be honest I've never really paid attention to them on the bill, I would just get the bill, look at the "total" and pay it. Well back in September I had to replace both of my heat pump systems inside and out. The contractor told me that the new units ( air ease 418LT one is a 5 ton, the other is a 2 ton ) were much more efficient than my 17 year old units. When he said that I said well I should see a heck of a decrease in my electric bill right? His reply was, we'll you will use less electricity but because the local company keeps increasing the fuel charges your total bill might not be that much less. Well our house is all electric and just a tad under 3000 sq. feet. Got my electric bill and noticed that my total bill for 34 days of use was just under $183.00 But $88.51 of that was under the heading of fuel charge. Out to the side, they rate the per kwh charge as 0.0334240 Is that high or avg or what. Also, the remainder of my bill was 95 bucks under "rate billing". If I'm already paying the "fuel charge" for each kwh hour used, what the heck is the other 95 bucks tacked on that brings my bill up to 183.00 Seems to me like that's double dipping, charging me for the electric I use, then tacking on a "fuel charge" for the electricity I've already paid for. Anyway I compared this months bill to the bill of a year ago and I did use about 350 kwh less electric this month, but the two bills were nearly identical. I guess that can be attributed to the "increased fuel charge". anyone who can explain this in simpleton terms so my "senior" mind can understand it... I would sure appreciate it... thanks guys.

Roland

Comments (6)