SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

My thick skin--disclosure statement.

palimpsest
14 years ago

Ok, there are a couple of threads that started innocently enough (covering books with decorative paper) and purely for controversy (huge kitchens...) and by posting in agreement with, or at least not in offended *disagreement with, I have managed to be part of what p*sses people off.

I am aloof and sit back and sometimes post on both sides of the argument. I won't get all worked up until perhaps, someone singles me out for not being on whatever the *correct side. Of course, its all about people feeling their "class" or "values" are called into question.

Here is why I could pretty much care less about what people think of my particular values. And, why in my own way, I am a snob in my own right.

I am rich. (at least I was from one of the richest families in my poor factory town)

I am poor. (make about 50% of what someone in my profession should make, poorer than my neighbors)(Interior design is not my primary occupation)

I am white.

I am biracial. (Native American partly if you go back far enough)

I am of high socioeconomic status (Ivy League, multiple degrees, from a family of Drs. and educated women several generations back.)

I am white trash (One grandmother didnt finish HS, my father built his parents a house with indoor plumbing in 1965, I have a number of Irish alcoholic cousins who have been in jail)

I am green. (I don't drive more than a couple times a year, I walk or take public transportation)

I generate a lot of plastic. (Three plastic half gallon iced tea containers and or 2 litre soda bottles leave our house a day)

I am very intelligent.

I am stupid (don't balance my checkbook, can't run a business, can't remember names)

I am male (bet you didnt expect that), and its why I can't understand some of the nature of the arguing in here.

I am Catholic with a Jewish sister and an atheistic Quaker mate.

So, there are very few things that you could say about how my house reflects my own personal lifestyle or experiences or your perceptions of my "class" that would offend me. I am a product of my environment(s). I probably *am smug because I relate to a lot of different things.

The only thing that offends me is if someone were to accuse me of not trying to do my job the best way I know how.

Comments (85)