SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syntria

Building Raised Beds Cedar or PT Wood? How Thick?

syntria
10 years ago

I've read a few other forums that discussed this, I'm needing some folks with experience to give me some peace of mind about the two options I'm considering.

I'm wanting to build 2-4 4x8 beds at 12'' high or 18'' high. Primarily for summer crops in Texas but I'll be using at least one or two for beets, parsnips, carrots, potatoes, onions here soon so I want to get one build pronto.

I was thinking of using 2 per side cedar boards of 1x6x8 with a 4x4 cedar post in the corner, issue is they're really only 3/4th thick and it seems awfully thin. Would it bow out? I'd be looking at close to $60 per bed this way.

I was also starting to open my mind to the idea of Pressure Treated wood again, 2''x6''x8' or 2''x12''x8' and if its two inchs thick would I realistically need corner posts or middle-posts if its only 8 ft long?

Which would you guys go and why? I prefer cedar but might want to add a seat or ledge eventually and the cedar won't be very thick or stable I think compared to the thicker pressure treated wood. And if I can, should I pay extra for one board that's 12 inchs wide or two that are 6 inchs wide (or two that are 8 inchs wide)? I've not lived here long but I have seen some rabbits. Its int he middle of a new HOA complex of houses built around 2005 with no 'wilderness' areas nearby, a few blocks away there's a creek. I've heard gophers are an issue in my area of Texas though I don't notice any tunnels in the yard.

Here's a badly done diagram of what I'd like to eventually have - https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7ffd9fggh6ucqr/2014-01-31%2008.36.42.jpg but that's a few years out.

I also want a small Strawberry Patch and Blackberry Patch that I'm trying to work out what I'd need. Maybe 4x4 strawberry patch (do they need full sun? I am in Texas and would like to put them by the house with just afternoon sun). I was also thinking 2x8 along the sunny side of the house against the wall for 4 blackberry plants, thornless type with some kind of trellis system.

I also want to have a small water-garden with a waterfall, though I might do a small self-contained padio one rather than an inground one. If I did in ground I'd need it to be a few feet deep so I could keep fishies (goldfish, I know that's not enough room for koi!). Also to have a water source for birds, hummingbirds, and lizards. Though I know attracting birds isn't probably a great idea.

I also want to promote Anole and other lizards on my property--sounds random I suppose but I have always adoored them. I want to create habitates for them and even buy wild ones if need be and create outside enclosures and feed them regularly before releasing them.

I know that was a lot, my real question is just the wood bit on top and I just threw the other bits in for bonus.

Thank you ahead of time guys, I know I've been asking so much lately but I really feel I've benefited a lot from all the answers I've gotten and appreciate everyone on here who's knowledgeable and spends so much time answering questions like these. :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored