SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_walheim

can quartzite be beveled to a custom thickness?

andrea walheim
4 years ago

Kitchen remodel requires 2 slabs of stone. There is an extra half-slab of quartzite, so fabricator was going to install it up behind my 36" stove up to the range hood which is 30" above the stove. So we are talking about a 36" x 30" backsplash. Yes, I know it will be heavy and needs to be supported with something besides Liquid Nails, lol. Especially since the range is freestanding.

I would like that entire wall tiled with, let's say subway tile (I have not picked it yet, might be mermaid tile) on either side of the quartzite as well as the opposing wall, around the range and open shelves, and all the way up the ceilings, also into the window well.

I have two questions:

1. Can the waterjet company (fabricator) do a custom bevel on the large rectangle of stone so that it meets the thickness of surrounding tile? When I asked them about this she said yes then sends me a link to the 4 most popular edge profiles for stone, none of which are going to work for this application. I will be doing an eased edge for the countertops.

I think I would need a custom bevel taking into account the thickness of the subway tile and thinset, and have them bevel the backsplash down to meet it so there is not an abrupt drop off between the 3cm stone and the 1cm of subway tile and thinset. Has anyone done this in their remodel or had a fabricator create a custom profile?

2. My plan was to remove the range hood (very easy) but leave the shelves (they have to stay in the exact position they are in and would be very difficult to remove due to LED lighting etc) to install the tile. The hood will go back on the wall in a different position; a couple centimeters out from the wall (at the top is flexible duct and has some play where we cut it into the ceiling) and I was going to install the subway tile behind the hood. I think the best way to go is to have the top edge of that rectangle stone backsplash bevel down to the subway tile on the top as well since the hood will be installed on top of subway tile. Any thoughts/advice/objections/photos?

I know there are differing opinions as to removing the hood before tile or tiling around it, but I think in my application the best look will be achieved by tiling around the shelves and tiling behind the hood. I have been wrong before though!

Any comments appreciated - thanks in advance y'all.

Comments (15)