SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
travelsfo

Anyone buy a furnace recently? Did you get a receipt?

travelsfo
13 years ago

We have a (crooked) contractor who did a furnace install for us -- well, it hasn't even been installed yet. Long story and here goes. He originally brought in a low-efficiency (80%) furnace, 80k btu which was way too much for our 1500 sf home. We refused to accept it and told him we needed a higher efficiency furnace 95%. He said ok and removed the rejected furnace. A month later and no new furnace so we ask him for status and he stated that there was a problem with returning the original furnace so he'd have to charge us $800 additional to get a new furnace. I refused and told him I could not give him any more money without a receipt. He told me he'd lost the receipt for a furnace that was just purchased a month ago.

Somehow I'm not buying this.

He then comes back and tells us I found your furnace but its going to cost you $3300. I do a search on Google and discover that is a lie. Our furnace is $1500 new online - how do you go from $1500 to $3300?

So we came to an agreement that WE would buy the furnace and deduct it from the job cost. He kept pushing us to give him an additional $750 to install the one we purchased AND he would give us the original furnace (without receipt). I refused because what are we going to do with an extra furnace that's too big for our house?? How is it possible that he can't go back to the store and get a receipt for this furnace?

Anyone have thoughts on what exactly is going on here?

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH