SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattamillion

New furnace quote

mattamillion
11 years ago

Hi all,

New to the forums but have been doing a lot of reading recently as we're in the market for a new furnace as we had the service guy out recently and he ID's some problems ($700+ repair bill) and said we had a couple of months of life on the unit. Not sure if we should be looking at replacing the AC as well, and looking for overall advice. We've had 2 contractors out to the house so far, another due out tomorrow.

Basic specs: 2400 SF 2-story, 16 years old, plus 1100 SF unfinished (for now) basement, currently Trane XL80 @ 100K BTU and a Goodman CLT30-1A 3-ton unit, Mpls/St Paul metro. The furnace is original and the AC is newer, looks like a 2002 model year. Most windows face ESE but have a lot of western sun in the summer on the front of the house.

I think we're more or less decided on a HE furnace rather than simply replacing the Trane, but are evaluating the 2-stage variable vs. modulating. Modulating sounds appealing for the level of comfort/control.

Option 1
Furnace: York - Affinity YP9C, 80K BTU, 97.7 AFUE
AC: York LX YCJF, 3 ton, 15.5 SEER
Includes Aprilaire 600 humidifier & 2210 media cleaner, Nest thermostat
$9000 (inclusive of all tax credits, rebates, etc.)

Option 2
Furnace: York - LX TM9V, 80K BTU, 96 AFUE
AC: York LX YCJF, 3 ton, 16.5 SEER
Includes Aprilaire 600 humidifier & 2210 media cleaner, Nest thermostat
$8300 (inclusive of all tax credits, rebates, etc.)

Option 3
Furnace: Carrier Infinity 96 (59TN6A100V21), 100K BTU, 96 AFUE
No AC replacement, Infinity thermostat, use existing Honeywell HH humidifier
$5100 (inclusive of all tax credits, rebates, etc.)

Option 4
Furnace: Carrier Performance 96 (59TP5A100E21) , 100K BTU, 96 AFUE
No AC replacement, Use existing thermostat, use existing Honeywell HH humidifier
$4300 (inclusive of all tax credits, rebates, etc.)

Questions:
1) Given the age of the AC, does it make sense to replace it along with the furnace? If I can get away with not replacing it now, I would prefer that but am willing to do it all at once if there's a compelling reason to do so. (Difference in tax credits/rebates is $600 to do both together.)

2) From what I've read, if we go with a modulating furnace, we should upgrade our humidifier so that it works with the upgraded furnace functionality. True?

3) Will we see that big a difference between full modulating vs. a 2-stage variable?

4) Pricing for options 1 and 2 (from one contractor) seem high compared to options 3 and 4. Need to see what the 3rd contractor comes in with but any initial reactions? All 3 are large, well-regarded local firms so I know I don't have a fly-by-night operation low-balling things.

Other thoughts? Haven't seen a full Manual J in writing but will request contingent on signing the contract, etc. Also, recommendations on thermostat? Would like WiFi and like the Nest, have also looked at some Honeywell models.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (9)