SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rnc620_gw

Refinishing Fir Floors

10 years ago

I have spent the entire afternoon trying to determine the best method for sealing / finishing the fir floors in our bedroom. I need some advice.

We pulled up the carpet today to find the floors in pretty good condition. Instead of relaying carpet or painting the floors I decided sanding and sealing would probably be our best bet. We plan to move soon and our house isn't in a great area (nicest house in the area and at this point more remodeling isn't going to be shown in return) so I am not overly concerned with resale value, but also don't want to put in more work then necessary.

We have decided that staining would be more work than we want to deal with, and from what I have read fir doesn't take stain well. So we are looking for advice on the best way to seal the floors after sanding. I have read about waterlox, linseed and tung oil, wax, and water vs oil poly. I am pregnant, and we have a 3 year old, so VOC is a concern. Also we have a 100lb dog so durability is a concern. However, water is not a concern since it is a bedroom and there is no plumbing upstairs.
What is the easiest, cheapest, quickest, and safest option... lol.. I know this is a contradictory question, but, overall, what would you use if in my shoes?
Thanks for any help!!

Comments (6)