SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rooster99_gw

Normal/best practise in refinishing floors?

rooster99
17 years ago

I have a problem with my newly refinished fir floors splitting (see 2 other threads below). Consensus seems to be that changes in humidity levels from installing a new heating system caused the problem, and there have been several comments that indicate my flooring guy and contractor may have just plain done a really sloppy job. What I'd like to find out is what they could reasonable have been expected to do that would have prevented the problem. I'm not going to sue them, but I need to understand how good a job they did/didn't do.

The sequence of events and some details are as follows :

- I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada so it's a damper climate

- The house was a wreck when we bought it in May 2005, with a very old poor quality forced air heating system; It had been empty for some time and felt damp; The floors were original (1910) fir under linoleum

- The house stayed empty with no heat for 7 months while we developed plans and got approvals

- The linoleum was removed in Jan 2006 and renos began, but still no heat; Part of the renos involved lifting the house and replacing the foundation as well as ripping off the lathe & plaster so it was a thorough gut job; Another part was installing a new forced air natural gas heating system and gas fireplace

- One room had new fir flooring installed in July 2006

- All the fir floors - original and new - were refinished with Glitsa in late August 2006

- We moved in Aug 30, 2006

- Splitting began to show in Sep/Oct 2006 in both the original and new fir flooring

- Our flooring guy said he did not test the humidity of the original fir floors and never does as they've reached equilibrium; He said he normally tests humidity in new flooring before installing it but didn't specifically state whether he did or didn't with our new flooring - which is also splitting

- I don't know if humidity levels in the house were tested at any point before the renos

- Our flooring guy said he tested the humidity in the house after the splitting appeared and it was in the normal range

So - should they have been more careful about humidity testing as part of the refinishing? Is there anything else they should have done, or was their process reasonable?

TIA - R.

Comments (3)