Does Grief Counseling work

mark2468

Hey,

I lost my Dad in 09 and my Mom this year. Having less than a year between their deaths is making it hard to get through this and day to day life. I am almost 50 and am wondering if grief counseling has helped anyone.

I just feel disconnected and am I'm just trying to get through it.

Any advice?

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
asolo

Among those I've known, it helped some finish their grieving period. take on new perspectives, and get moving again. Really was a useful departure point for them.

Sorry to say for a few others it seemed to give them permission to continue wallowing in self-sorrow and a support group to reinforce it.

I have no idea if those very different outcomes were caused by the grief counseling or group or if that's just the kind of people they were in the first place. Did notice the ones who moved on got busy.....got involved in various things and became enthusiastic again. The ones who stayed down became uninteresting slugs....sort of a permanent depression kind of thing. They also became tedious and boring to be around.

If you've been dealing with this for this long, you might have a session or two and see what you think. Might get a few new ideas that would help out. Just don't make a new home out of it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life 10 Ways to Cope With Grief During the Holidays
If you are experiencing loss, take it from an experienced griever — life has changed forever, but it does get better
Full Story
Life 10 Ways to Work Through Grief Triggers During the Holidays
A year after losing her sister, she was facing another holiday. Here’s how one woman learned to find joy again
Full Story
Most Popular When Does a House Become a Home?
Getting settled can take more than arranging all your stuff. Discover how to make a real connection with where you live
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More