SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thibeaultstable

What's For Dinner #304

ann_t
14 years ago

I've gone back to look at Kathleen's popovers numerous times. I'd love one dripping in butter.

Sharon, great looking Indian dinner. Looks like you found two new restaurants worth going back to.

Annie, Rhubarb Pie is my favourite. Wish I could have a slice of yours. Can't wait until the first rhubarb of the season.

Nancy, that has to be one of the best looking corn beef dinners I've ever seen.

A few of the foods we had to eat recently.

Cheddar Cheese Cookies

Bacon, Cheddar and Green Onion Biscuits

Raspberry Meringue Roulade

Cabbage Rolls

Homemade Pizza

and

Brown Sugar and Maple Syrup Scones

Comments (100)

• althetrainer
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I made crock-pot roasted beef and vegetables on steamed rice tonight. It was not a photogenic dish but tasted pretty good. :-)

By the way, I can never take a picture of my dinners. How do you all hold on to the dish to take a picture while everyone tries to dig in?

Al

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Yes, Nancy that Swiss Steak recipe needs to be shared! Pretty Please..

I've barely been doing any thing around here for food. We we're eating..but I'm not sure what. LOL

In the oven now is reheated pork chops and potatoes au gratin..and soon to be made fried cabbage and leeks..

• Related Discussions

bertazzoni a304ggvxe, bluestar rcs304bv1, capital psgr304n

Q

Comments (1)
    All three ranges have 15k btu burners. The Capital has all 4 at 15k,the BS 3 plus a simmer,and Berta has 15k plus a simmer plus two intermediate burners. IMO the growing consensus here at GW is these intermediate burners are the least effective. On 30" ranges you should have maybe one dedicated simmer and the rest power burners. There is nothing the intermediate burners can do that the simmer or power burner can not do. The bigger advantage of the BS is the eveness of the heat.You can make an uneven burner cook better with good thick bottomed pots/pans. Or you can get the BS and start with good evenness and optionally make it better with better cookware. The BS has a 15" heigh oven,the Capital 15" and the Berta 13". Some people think 14" is too low. To answer you last question good power allows you to sear meat better,saute better,boil quicker,and recover temperatures better. Drop cold food into a pot of boiling water drops the temp of the water. High heat allows the pot to recover to that 212 or so degrees faster.Allowing more even cooking. In short I would get the RCS. BTW There used to be a lot of Berta owners post here not so much anymore. Not too many owners of that discontinued Capital Performance Series either. A few RCS owners.
    ...See More

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

Wolf R304 or GR304?

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd also go for the R304 of those two! However, I do think you're putting too much emphasis on the lack of Bluestar service in your area. What's to service? I've had mine two years with no issues, and after all, these ranges are so basic, I can't think of anything on it that I couldn't repair myself or any appliance repair guy for that matter. Just something to think about before you take Bluestar off your list of contenders... Chris Edit: was posting at the same time, if you have decided on the Wolf Enjoy! :) I was this close (holding thumb and forefinger quarter inch apart) to buying an ag Wolf when I discovered Bluestar, you can't go wrong either way. chris This post was edited by ctycdm on Tue, Jan 20, 15 at 20:20
    ...See More

Review of Bluestar RCS304BV2

Q

Comments (27)
    After reading so many polar opposite, and very conflicting reviews on BS ranges, I have decided to post my perceptions and experience with our RCS304BV2 open burner range. First of all, this range is all about gas flame cooking. If you are reading this, you most likely prefer flame cooking to electric cooking. If so, the BS burners are the most amazing burners available! Again, its all about the burners, and this unit is not equipped with other bells and whistles like a timer, clock, or any other circuit board related features. There are burners and knobs, an oven door, and a broiler. Thats it. The beauty of this type of range is in the simplicity of its design. You turn the knob, and start cooking. We were not prepared for how much hotter the open burners are compared to our old KItchenAid sealed burner range with comparable burner output ratings! You better have your cooking ingredients handy, because you are going to be working faster than ever as these burners put out the heat! Now here is where I believe the negative reviews originate...these units are "old school" and are designed to be user serviceable. A homeowner with a toolbox could probably disassemble and reassemble the entire unit in a couple hours. Love it! And so, it REALLY HELPS to read the owners manual to familiarize yourself with initial assembly and setup! Ya gotta get the burner gas tubes lined up and installed properly BEFORE use. So easy, but its tempting to skip these details and fire the thing up. Don't do that. Read the ENTIRE owners manual and you are in for smooth sailing. Now that you are up and running...the top burners may require some adjustment initially and periodically. This is easy to do, but many users are not used to performing any adjustments or maintenance to a range and therefore jump to the conclusion that this is a defect. It is not a defect, this is a feature that allows a user to fine tune the flames to match their cooking expectations. Next, the oven temp may need to be calibrated at initial setup and periodically in the future. This is a great feature if you are willing to get a thermometer and make the adjustment with a screwdriver. You do have a screwdriver, right? Once all the burners are fine tuned to your liking, you are good to go...for a while. At some point, the burner igniters will fail. This is normal. Typically they last around 3 years of daily use. Good news though, they are cheap and easy to replace. Again, this range is quite simple in design, simple to repair, and most parts can be purchased online and replaced by an intelligent homeowner with some tools. Not a bad idea to keep a spare igniter handy...cuz maybe you got a bad one and it burned out in the first month or maybe you spilled cold water on a hot igniter and it cracked the porcelain. It happens. The not-so-good: The oven body gets quite warm, and down right hot in some places when in use. Seems like there is less insulation surrounding the oven than anything we have previously owned. A good ventilation hood carries most of the heat away though. This has not been an issue for us, but then again we don't have Toddlers at our ankles either. This may be a consideration for a house full of kids...maybe do more research on that. We like the heat though, it warms our dinner plates by setting them on an unused burner. Initial quality MAY be a problem here and there. Maybe an igniter got banged by a cast iron grate and broke it....or like our range was delivered with a small gas leak at the pressure regulator. All it took is one call to CS to have it repaired under warranty. But seriously, why wasn't this defect caught at quality control?? Don't they do ANY testing before shipping out?? Ugh!! I would also strongly advise you to download the installation instructions prior to purchasing this unit. There are very specific requirements for outlet and gas valve placement that may require an electrician and/or plumber to sort out that may involve significant additional expense. However, this is the case with many/most appliances these days. But if you are handy, and know a thing or two about running gas pipe and wiring outlets, this is a non-issue. In summary, if you truly love cooking over a flame, desire simplicity over complicated electronic menus, and are willing to take the time to setup and adjust the burners to your liking, and make basic repairs yourself, then this is a great range that will last many years. But if you are the "plug and play" type that expects everything to work with the turn of a knob and need a repairman for every little adjustment, this may not be the range for you. We love our BlueStar RCS range, and now that we have been through the learning curve, I doubt we will ever trade it for anything else!
    ...See More
  • dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

We grilled marinated top round steak last night. Sliced it thin against the grain and cooked not for long and it was delicious. I LOVE grilled food. We had baked potatoes and salad to go along with it.

Tonight I made BBQ shrimp along with the rest of the steak and had corn and coleslaw to round out the meal. Another good meal.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Can you believe it's snowing here? Which is fine. The longer it stays cold, the longer my grass stays dormant, the longer before I have to run the sprinklers.

However, it is also very windy (gusts up to 45 mph) and cold, so it was a good night to make a nice big pot of vegetable beef soup. I had some of that for dinner with some cheese toast.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Wow dixie! Drilled steak and shrimp are a fav combination of mine... can I come to your house for dinner? Aand oh my Sharon - Bibi and the bear are adorable together :-) She can hve my portion of the liver too....

Anyway, I made Flammkuchen last night and it was great. Definitely will be on my "go to" list. Not sure what we are doing tonight, DH is stuck in the city at the home show, so the boys and I can go wild with dinner plans.....

Alexa

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Thank you Alexa LOL....actually Bibi did eat some of that liver too. But I know not everyone likes it as much as we do.

Bean you have snow? Well you're right about it being a good reason to make soup. (PS Did something arrive in the mail yet?)

Yesterday I made broth with a piece of hen and veg and today we had part of it in a multi-veg and lentil chicken soup. Every vegetable I could think of went into this one and I still have a huge pot of it left. Luckily it tasted really good so we won't mind having it again, and again, and again! :-)

Yeah it's Friday again! Have a good weekend all.

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE liver and onions, with a good slice of bacon thrown in. Bibi looks so tiny in that basket, though, I think maybe she needs a little liver to help her along, poor kitty. I do have some chicken livers in the freezer, Cooper and I will have them soon. Well, I'll have them once, as a treat, then Cooper will have the rest.

Al, I take pictures after my food is plated, so I don't interrupt anyone else's eating!

Yum, Dixie, grilled shrimp and corn sounds like summer food. Too bad it's only in the 30s here, it was 25F when I walked to work this morning and the wind is blowing. It's supposed to be 50 and sunny tomorrow, though, and 40 and rain on Sunday. Let's all hear it for Michigan weather! (grin)

Terri, you must have been eating something, because you had pork chops to reheat, LOL.

Lst night we had a conglomeration of leftovers, some arroz con pollo, some fish and vegetable chowder that Elery made with a package of slightly freezer burned fish that migrated to the bottom of the freezer, and the last of the carrots and celery that was going limp in the fridge. He also added quite a bit of hot sauce, so it was a little too spicy for my taste, but I ate it anyway.

Tonight I have some pork ribs thawing, so probably Sue's Roadhouse ribs, we'll see.

Annie

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

awww...Bibi and the bear. That's so cute.

(Sharon, not as of yesterday.)

It was just a wee bit of snow; it's melted off already, but it is still chilly. I already know what dinner will be tonight, though. I've been wanting linguica, eggs and skillet poatoes. For dessert, I'll have a piece of toast with Annie's pear preserve.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Martinis...... 'Nuff said! LOL!

Alexa

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I guess everyone is busy this weekend and preparing for the next week's holidays.

Alexa I hope you enjoyed your martinis and your birthday!

Annie I still haven't tried Sue's Roadhouse Ribs. I bet whatever you make with those ribs, it'll be good!.

Saturday we were out and neither of us was very hungry. I ordered beef roulade with spaetzle and Wolf a half portion of roast pork in mushroom gravy.
    I took home half my meat for Bibi and couldn't manage to finish the spaetzle although they were good.

Today we just had that soup I made the other day but finished up with a big fresh fruit salad: strawberries (they were really good), papaya, kiwi, banana, tangerine and a cup of tropical juice from a carton and a sprinkle of sugar. Guess we'll have some for breakfast tomorrow as I always make too much!

Like a warm summer day today, and the garden is full of roses in bloom.

SharonCb

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Holy Cow's: Literaly!!!
    Haven't been in here for awhile. All the food a Photo's look great. Almost as good as mine.

Kathleen:
    Miss your table settings.

Sol:
    You are ??? Something else !!!
    I haven't figured out what yet, LOL

I could go on for a hour but the Coffee and Cheese Cake,
    are waiting.

Tonight I had leftover Stuffed Shells and Meat Balls,
    that were made last weekend and put in the freezer.

With a glass of Red Wine !!!

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Due to a new job and then coming down with the flu and bronchitis, I've done very little cooking in the last few weeks, unlike the the wonderful cooks here!! Some beautiful dishes on this thread.

After weeks of cereal, soup, and delivery, I made a simple shrimp cocktail after work on Friday night. It was simple but full of flavor because the shrimp were roasted instead of boiled! Juicy, tender, and the perfect foil for the easy cocktail sauce I served with:

Lori

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Mmmm, love shrimp, Lori. I hope you're feeling better now.

Sharon, I was thinking of you this morning, I made a fruit salad with grapefruit, orange and strawberries. I didn't remember to take a picture, but since they changed my cholesterol medication I can have grapefruit again, so that makes me happy.

Renee, breakfast must have been a recurring theme, I had the last of the corned beef hash a couple of days ago, with an egg and a piece of rye bread, toasted:

The ribs were delicious, so thanks Sue for a keeper of a recipe. Sharon, you'll love them, if you try them. I wrapped them well and baked them, they were tender and pulling away from the bone, but not falling apart, just the way I like them.

Yesterday I took The Princess and Bruvver to hunt Easter Eggs at a local nursing home. Bruvver hugged everyone in the place, I think, and I'll post some pictures over on conversations or the gallery later, not tonight. Anyway, as a treat we went to Dairy Queen afterward, they had special bowls of ice cream topped with green coconut and bunnies:

Elery worked his 12 hour midnight shift last night, then drove 3 hours to get here, so I made him some breakfast. We had a fennel and asparagus quiche from Diabetic Living magazine, some roasted potatoes and that fruit salad:

The quiche was really good, lots of veggies and less egg than I'm used to, but still very good. And 290 calories, according to the stats.

There's been so many meals I haven't managed to take a picture of, so I know I've missed lots.

Annie

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon, that soup looks wonderful. And I'd be happy with your's or Wolf's dinner, but I would like the spaetzle on the side.

Lori, I don't think I've seen a better looking Shrimp Cocktail. Can't wait until our local spot prawns are in season.

Annie, Now I have a craving for Corn Beef and Hash.

Breakfast the other morning was warm cinnamon buns drizzled with a white chocolate glaze. I made them the night before and left them to rise in the fridge overnight.

And dinner Friday night was a spicy Chicken Stir fry with cashews.

Last night's dinner was chicken stew and tonight we had grilled baby back ribs.

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Dang, I was SURE it meant I was brilliant and beautiful. LOL

Annie, you are brilliant and beautiful! But don't just take my word for it, ask prince Elery.
    Btw, I've been a bit of a scatterbrain and forgot to tell you about Horrock's renovation. Do you remember the wall between the produce and cheese departments?
    Well, the wall was knocked down.
    That's it.
    Of course, with that obtrusive wall gone, you now get a panoramic view of the whole market from the entrance. I think that's all the renovating they're going to do, but I hope to be wrong.
    Btw, after a smoothie breakfast, I would happily dive into that Corned Beef Hash right now.

Lori, I hope you'll start feeling better soon. I have a few friends who've been hit with the same bug, and they're not happy.

Sol: You are Something else !!!I haven't figured out what yet.

Luigi, you lunatic fringe. Judging by your sweet, kind and supportive emails, I thought you already had me all figured out.
    I'd like some of that fine cooking and wine now, please.

Sharon, our temperatures will climb into the 70s by the weekend. I'll have to replicate your delicious fruit salad.

I haven't been taking many pictures of our dinners lately either, mostly because they're dishes I've posted about before.
    So, first, I'll post about last weekend's homey breakfast.

Corn Fritters topped with Poached Eggs.

Hot and Cold Chocolate Truffle

Blood Orange Caprese Salad

Thumper and I have been busy dyeing (and eating) eggs. Here's one lone survivor. But we'll make more before we go on vacation. I won't be around next week, so I'll wish everyone a Happy Easter now.

Sol

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sol, your photos just get better and better.

I love the picture of that perfectly poached egg, the yolk flowing down over the corn fritter. Now that is a breakfast Moe and Matt would both love.

Ann

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh sol, I NEED that chocolate truffle. Now.

I also agree with Ann T, that egg is perfect, even the tiny wedge cut from it to allow the yolk to escape and cover the corn fritter. Yum.

Have a nice vacation and thanks for the Horrock's update, I hope they don't do anything else, unless it's make it bigger! Improvements usually mean higher prices, as far as I can see...

Annie

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Sol:
    You always have kind words, even though I call you names.
    Maybe that's what friends are for ?????

You did it this time, with the Photo's.
    Think I figured you out.
    With all your money, good looks and Artistic ability, it may be that you are eccentric. !!! lol

SharonCb:
    I should have listened to you and fine tuned my Photography
    with the Digital Camera.
    But I was in a Rut, the last few years.
    Have to break out all my lighting and give it a go.

Most of my good Photo's were with the 35MM. Probably over 500 just in Ebay for the descriptions.
    Used mostly Judgement then.
    In the late 40's. Everything was Black and White

Built a Darkroom, Enlarger, Printing Box and Portrait Camera for myself and a Cousin,
    who was discharged from the Navy and took up a Course at the Antonelli School of Photography, Phila.

All I have left is a few Photo's and a Portrait of my Daughter, when she was 2 years old.

Why am I saying all this, on a WFD Post.???

Kathleen:
    I'm the one who must be a Whacko! Still feeding the Deer.
    When I go out to get in the car,
    he comes up to me, waiting for corn.
    I feed him from out of the Scoop, rub his head and give him a wack.
    He looks at me as if to say " now why did you do that? ",
    then he keeps eating.

But I do check myself for ticks,constantly, because all the animals can carry ticks.
    Lou

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Lou,

Read Part 2 and Part 5 of SharonCb's tips.

dcarch

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Ann, we tend to gravitate toward simple, downhome type breakfasts too. But I seriously need to cut back on the egg consumption.

AB, in regards to Horrock's, I was a little disappointed. After such a long wait, I was really hoping for a more dramatic upgrade.
    But heck, I agree, a bigger price tag would've inevitably be attached to a major remodeling. I guess it's best to let go of the proverbial Pie in the Sky notion.
    See you soon my friend.

Sol

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Dcarch:
    Thanks,I will do that.
    Now that the service is over and I get thru all the paperwork, etc.,
    I'll have to backtrack on the Picture taking.

I know when everything was loaded from the old PC,
    all the Photo's were lighter.
    I couldn't bring them up to the same color as the old PC.
    Lou

Sol: take some Pictures on your Vaction !!!

• jimster
    14 years ago

Lou,

I want to see a picture of you feed the deer. If possible, I would like the photo to show the look on the deer's face when you whack him.

Re digital photography: Read up on "white balance". That's something we didn't have back in the day of film. It's a very nifty feature of digitals. We used to need a bunch of expensive color correcting filters. Now it's all in the camera and can even be automatic if you wish.

I still have at least one of every camera I ever owned. That's quite a few.

Jim

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

sol, your creativity and talent , your sharp wit, such a way with words and a keen insight into human nature....the mind boggles.

Up at the cottage, doing some freezer Spring cleaning. Not very imaginative but himself seems happy enough.

Some recent meals..... halibut and chips, I'm done with that for a bit, I really hate the smell after deep fat frying.....yuck! Pulled pork, chili, turkey soup, spaghetti with meat sauce, bizlady's country style ribs with sweet potatoes...that was a home run ! Thanks bizlady, great recipe.

Tonight is Salisbury steak, mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes and asparagus. Tomorrow night pork chops done some way or other.

A bit boring but the freezer is darn near empty, and that's a good thing!

• hawk307
    14 years ago

Jim:
    This is the only Photo I could find right now.
    I have a recent one of the Button Buck, that Steve took but can't find it right now.
    Have to find another Photographer.

LOU

Here is a copy of the Photo I took; of my Daughter in 1957,
    with the Portrait Camera I built.

My Daughters Photo came thru lighter. On the other PC it is Darker, Sharp and Smaller.

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Lou and Jimster, go to "Conversations"

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/post.cgi

dcarch

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sol, have a good vacation, I'll talk to you soon.

Sharon, "clean the freezer" sounds like a good idea, it's something I just can't seem to accomplish. Elery did smoke some Lake Trout that we caught last summer, along with a piece of salmon from last fall, and I've been taking things to Amanda, LOL, now they're her problem, like those au gratin potatoes....

So, last night Elery cooked, I had to work yesterday, so he made corn cakes which he topped with some mashed and seasoned avocado and a piece of the smoked salmon:

Along with that we had some noodles in a lemon sauce with asparagus and chicken:

It was very fresh and "spring-like" with the fresh vegetables.

Today I took the day off so we could go work on the fence, so I made breakfast. A farm fresh egg on a toasted English muffin with some of our home smoked bacon, it kept us going for 6 hours of fencing.

When we were done we were both too tired to cook so I put a sweet potato in the microwave and warmed up some of the fennel and asparagus quiche and we called it supper. Maybe we were just hungry, but it was surprisingly good:

Tomorrow night? I don't know, I'm trying to think of what I could make with leftover asparagus, fennel, some roasted garlic, a piece of quiche and that seasoned avocado, LOL.

Annie

• jimster
    14 years ago

Annie,

It's good to see your pics so I know that you and Elery aren't succumbing to starvation out there on the farm in Michigan. :-)

Jim

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Jim, not much chance of that, not even after a long hard Michigan winter. (grin) In fact, maybe I should starve a bit more and my jeans would fit a bit better!

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Many beautiful meals again here!

I'm a little behind so I'll go right ahead and and try to remember what I've been making the last days...I know fish and veg was one day, and Tuesday we went out to that new little tapas and terrace restaurant called La Oliva for Moroccan chicken which consisted of cubes of chicken and sweet potato in a yoghurt mint sauce with rice and raisins. We both had that dish and enjoyed it very much. Dessert was what they called chocolate fondant, which turned out to be a molten lava cake with ice cream. When I cut into it, out came the hot chocolate sauce mmmm. So that's what they are called here! First dessert for me in many months.

Today I made chicken-turkey meatballs with a little tomato-red pepper sauce and steamed vegetables.
    I'm defrosting some of my chicken broth and may make stewed lentils with that tomorrow.

Lou I love that pic of you feeding the deer. I can't even get the doves here to eat out of my hand. And a very nice one you took of your daughter.

Your colour/light photo issue is not something to do with your computer.
    You have your camera set for outdoor photography when you are taking photos indoor under tungsten light.
    With film cameras we used to buy either "daylight" or "indoor" film.
    With a digital camera you just have to change the white balance (WB) setting from daylight to indoor.
    One click on your camera, that's all...it's easy. No more yellow photos.

SharonCb

• compumom
    14 years ago

I've barely done any cooking of note lately, but seeing as how I'm "off" (that's a joke) work this week, I did plan for a few meals that DH really likes. He was a happy camper with an pesto chicken breast and fennel last night, so today I tried out a new recipe! I will admit that after perusing everyone's yummy sounding treats I feel ashamed to be posting a simple beef stew recipe, but DH gave it two thumbs up--

Simply Recipes
    Irish Beef Stew
    Ingredients

* 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 1 1/4 pounds well-marbled chuck beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces (NOT extra-lean)
    * 6 large garlic cloves, minced
    * 6 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
    * I cup of Guinness beer
    * 1 cup of fine red wine
    * 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    * 1 tablespoon sugar
    * 1 tablespoon dried thyme
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
    * 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 7 cups)
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled carrots
    * Salt and Pepper
    * 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Method

1 Heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Lightly salt the beef pieces. Working in batches if necessary, add the beef (do not crowd the pan, or the meat will steam and not brown) and cook, without stirring, until nicely browned on one side, then use tongs to turn the pieces over. Continue to cook in this manner until all sides are browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add beef stock, Guinness, red wine, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, Worcestershire sauce and bay leaves. Stir to combine. Bring mixture to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, then cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

2 While the meat and stock is simmering, melt butter in another large pot over medium heat. Add potatoes, onion and carrots. Sauté vegetables until golden, about 20 minutes. Set aside until the beef stew in step one has simmered for one hour.

3 Add vegetables to beef stew. Simmer uncovered until vegetables and beef are very tender, about 40 minutes. Discard bay leaves. Tilt pan and spoon off fat. Transfer stew to serving bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle with parsley and serve. (Can be prepared up to 2 days ahead. Cool slightly. Refrigerate uncovered until cold, then cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before serving.)

Serves 4 to 6.

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Ellen, there's no such thing as "simple" beef stew, the stuff takes hours. Yours sounds good, but you lost me on the Guiness, I'd have to sub beef broth. Yeah, yeah, I know...

I did some grocery shopping last night so I can start on the quiche appetizers tonight, and I think tonight I'm also going to make some kind of Easter bread for the Princess to take to the "other grandma" for Easter breakfast. They're having dinner with me, but I'm the Grandma that bakes, LOL.

So my dinner was a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Koeze's Cream Nut peanut butter and homemade cranberry citrus marmalade, if that counts, LOL.

Annie

• compumom
    14 years ago

Thanks Annie, it definitely took longer than an hour and 40 minutes to cook. The meat wasn't tender enough with that little time to simmer. I had bought a beautiful piece of chuck at Whole Foods, but maybe it wasn't marbled enough. I've never bought Guinness before and DH tasted it from the can and didn't care for it. However in the stew it added just the right touch, since he didn't even add a drop of salt, pepper or balsamic-- his usual additions for flavor. It's hard because even taste it due to my food restrictions, so he's left to his own devices on seasonings!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Ellen, I don't like beer at all, so I sure don't use Guinness, in spite of my Irish/Native American background. I did use it in chili once and couldn't eat the stuff, although Elery liked it (or said he did). Grandpa used to tell me that God invented beer so the Irish wouldn't take over the world, but I didn't get that piece of the genetics, apparently. (grin)

I can't imagine trying to cook without tasting for seasoning, though and I've got to find a way to cut back on the salt, which I just love. Of course.

Annie

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

I just spent a lovely hour or so going leisurely through this thread. I haven't checked it out since the beginning of this one. So much wonderful food and the gorgeous pictures always are such an added treat. Thanks to everyone for sharing.

We had several indoor rabbits at one time. Bobbette liked to groom the dogs. My doberman was so patient with him and when he got tired of it he'd give a giant sigh and we'd rescue him. LOL. They were housebroken. We had a low window and I built a hutch on the outside of it. When they had to 'go' they'd jump up in the hutch and go to their preferred corner.

I made stew last sunday. Hadn't made it in quite a while. Used a couple of bottom rounds I cut into big cubes, floured well, browned and cooked it in the Le Cruset for a couple hours on low. Meat, potatoes, onions, carrots, little celery, bay leaf, and turkey broth to cover. Toward the end I added peas and mushrooms. Really enjoyed it, the meat was so tender without being dry.

Last night we went to the WolfDog Rescue to pick up our free raw food for Jessie. Since I knew we'd be eating late I boiled a bunch of shrimp in Zatarains crab boil and made salads with romaine, some tomatoes that were pretty good, swiss, green onions for Christy and lots of nice ripe avocado for me. I used remoulade on the side for dressing along with lemon wedges.

Today I was going to make the cream eggs but remembered I had taken out supplies to make macaroons and shortbread so I made those this afternoon. I had a bit too much egg white so they ran a little. Next time I'll just add more coconut. You can see a few shortbread peeking out next to the bowl. Hey I had to have something to keep my strength up while taking pictures.

Tonight Christy was very tired and didn't feel much like eating so I made some biscuits she could have with her chickory coffee. That's a real comfort meal for her. Smiles. They looked and tasted so good I joined her. I have my meal of the week spaghetti in the fridge in case I get hungry later.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Oh, that beef stew recipe looks good. I'll have to make that soon. I'm on a stew kick lately. (And any excuse to pick up Guiness is good by me. I have a gingerbread cake that uses it.)

Speaking of stews, earlier in the week I made a Azorean green bean, potatoe, and chourico stew. That was dinner a couple of days. DH is home for a day before heading out again, and wanted "real" food, so dinner tonight was chile verde, black beans and rice. I was going to make a vegetable to go with it, but we decided to just roll it up into burritos instead.

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I'm kind of late to the party, but here is a picture of my attempt at making Ann T's maple scones, lol! I used the same recipe but got very different results with my kitchen skills. They were still pretty good tasting. She's the master, I am but a plebe, :)

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

Yummy-looking baked goods!!

Yesterday I made Roasted Cauliflower, Onions & Garlic:

Today I made Seared Scallops, Carrot Fritters and Yogurt Dressing:

Lori

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Everything looks delicious! Sol, I love the egg, beautiful!
    I cooked for days for Easter..we had a terrible storm the weekend before and damage to be cleaned up. So I haven't been around much.
    Easter the weather was wonderful..

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Kathleen, it was 81F here on Good Friday. In April in Michigan! It'll probably snow next week, LOL.

Coconut, those biscuits look perfect, I'd love one.

Lpink, I'd eat that scone in an instant, I love maple.

Here dinner was ham, Ruthanna's parmesan crusted cod, SharonCB's parmesan potatoes (to use up the rest of the cheese), sweet potatoes in an orange butter sauce from a recipe given to me by Readinglady, the honey rolls from Sol, and Grandma's blueberry crisp. Oh, and the first time ever I made tiramisu. It was OMG good, but it started with 6 egg yolks, some cookies soaked in espresso and ended with a pint and a half of heavy cream, so how could it be bad.

I'll put pictures on my "Easter" Thread. In the meantime I started the quiches for the appetizer wedding reception in May, so I now have spinach/swiss cheese and broccoli/ham/cheddar with the leftover Easter ham, 10 dozen of each...

Yeah, I know, the first picture is too dark, the second too light, but I sneaked a couple of the quiches for dinner. Cooper liked the ones with ham and broccoli, LOL.

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Coconut your macaroons and biscuits look just perfect, as do your scones Lpink.

I'd love a taste of Lori's roasted cauliflower, onions & garlic. What a great combination.

Amazing Annie has done it again....all that cooking and still able to make 20 dozen mini quiches for the wedding!

It's been a bit busy here too but we've had rain which stopped me working in the garden. We've had some water shut offs from repairs to the mains in the street so we've been out a couple of times too. Saturday at the Austrian restaurant Wolf had a favourite dish steamed hake with tomato and onion, while I had cevapcici with salad and chips....those are spicy meat patties. Always have to take some home for the 2 feral cats as it's too much for me. Now drinking a glass of wine now and then.

Easter Sunday I made Osso Buco, but rather than with risotto or noodles, I did potatoes to appease my potato man.
    The sauce is to die for....it contains a good quantity of both brandy and dry sherry as well as balsamic vinegar.

Today we had no water this morning so we were out again for lunch of ground steak patties (frikadellen) with mushroom gravy, boiled potatoes and red cabbage.
    That was simple but nice and no dishes to wash afterward.
    Will have some salad tonight. Sun finally shining but the wind is chilly.

SharonCb

• ann_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, so many great looking meals.

Annie, you have been busy. As always. 20 dozen quiche. I'd be happy with a couple of each.

Sharon, great looking meals. I like the idea of your chicken/turkey meatballs.

Coconut, your biscuits look perfect.

LPink, I don't know why you are putting yourself down. Your scones look as good as any I've seen. I'd be happy with one right about now with my morning coffee.

Lori, I know that Moe would love your scallops. But you know I would have to change to another type of fritter.

And that roasted cauliflower is calling my name.

Halibut season is now opened and we had our first taste of fresh halibut last week.

Pan roasted and topped with a brown butter and herb lemon sauce.

I also made spicy Asian style meatballs served with stir fried veggies. No recipe.

Just seasoned ground turkey breast with garlic, cilantro, ginger, green onion, sesame oil, a splash of rice wine vinegar and a spoonful of hot garlic chili paste. Browned the meatballs. Remove from the pan. Sauted the onions and peppers. Removed from the pan. Sauted some garlic and ginger, added some chicken broth, another splash of rice wine vinegar, a spoon of chili sauce, put the meatballs back into the pan and simmered for 20 minutes. Added the onions and peppers back into the pan, along with bean sprouts and green onion, tossed to heat and served over rice.

• jimster
    14 years ago

I thought it was about time that this WFD virgin joined in the fun.

This was last night's dinner at the home of DD and DSL. I cooked shioyaki salmon with rice and steamed asparagus with strawberry vinaigrette. The strawberry vinaigrette wouldn't have been my first choice but it was the only vinaigrette in DD's fridge. I was set on using vinaigrette and didn't want to take time to make it. It was fine.

The salmon was from a huge fillet even though it doesn't look large next to the thick asparagus spears and a good sized portion of rice. I like thick asparagus. Despite what is said about it, thick asparagus is just as tender as the thin.

Remember the thread about what to do with asparagus trimmings? The bunnies got ours. They weren't impressed however. They like something with a bolder flavor, such as radicchio.

Jim

• annie1992
    14 years ago

ann T, I'm only half done with the quiche. I'm thinking crab and asparagus and then one other, maybe an Italian sausage and mushroom. I'm going to Elery's this weekend and we starting on wontons, we only have 7 weeks and counting...

It looks like a theme here. SharonCB's hake looks delicious, I still am trying to find some more of that. Ann T's halibut looks equally delicious, I love halibut and can only imagine that it's even better fresh, I've only had the frozen stuff.

Jim, your salmon looks wonderful too, I love salmon.

So, what did I have for lunch? The last piece of cod leftover from Easter, LOL. Supper, though, was beef stew and one of sol's rolls leftover from Easter. I used the recipe that Ellen posted above and it was pretty good, but I'd use less oregano. I even went and bought a bottle of Guinness. I'll take the leftovers to Elery, he'll love it.

Last night it was scalloped potatoes with the ham that was leftover from Easter, so now all I have is a big old honkin' ham bone that I need to use:

Cooper approved of both but he liked the scalloped potatoes best!

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

It's just my self effacing humor Ann! I admire carefully crafted foods, but my own stuff is kinda lumpy and that's OK with me, it's all good! Well, most of the time, don't get me started on kolaczki! :)
    Your photos are yum and gawgeous as usual!

Jimster you posted one of my all time favorite meals! Actually, I just had it Saturday when I went out for dinner at a fancy restaurant. YUM!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

I can't believe this has fallen off the front page, so I am bumping it back up. Some good looking fish, quiche and even carrot fritters! Man I love those.

Last night, my little fella decided he wanted french toast for brunch a couple of weeks ago and we decided we'd create our own. He wanted it to "have a streusel topping" and I wanted it to be "stuffed". Somehow, we didn't get around to it. We had our creation last night. I had some cream cheese into which I zested an orange and added a bit of the juice. That was the stuffed part of it. His streusel was a bit of pecans with butter, cinnamon, flour, brown sugar, and butter. I couldn't figure out what he wanted me to do with it, so I smushed it into the bread after it had been dipped in the egg. It didn't really get crunchy enough even after being fried in the skillet, so I broiled it. It was pretty good (I'd give it about a 6 ½-7 on a scale of 1-10). And a couple of strips of bacon with some cold milk. Breakfast for dinner!

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    14 years ago

Boy everyone must be having fun in this great weather! I'm bumping it again. I had chicken piccata with baby artichokes, angel hair pasta and roasted carrots. Followed by dark chocolate mousse.

Happy Spring everyone!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I was at Elery's all weekend, so Cooper had a burger from McDonald's on Friday night after the three hour drive, I had some hummus and raw veggies.

Saturday we got up and had fresh eggs (I took a dozen with me, I'm NOT eating those store bought things!) on toasted English Muffins, then went into Ann Arbor. I bought another mini-muffin tin at Homegoods to make the quiches go a little faster and a set of wooden "salad hands", hand painted in the Philipines, just because they were different than anything I'd ever seen.

We went to Whole Foods and bought some artichoke/fennel/edamame salad and a couple of sweet potato latkes from the deli and a "made in Michigan" granola bar, then went to Trader Joe's, where we stocked up on Dubliner cheese, some peanut butter filled pretzels for the kids, the flax seed chips that I like.

Supper was with his son and DIL and sometime in there we had pinto beans and cornbread. Sunday morning we had a late brunch, salmon patties, some of the salad from Whole Foods and the rest of the hummus.

I started home and stopped at Horrocks where I bought two cases of cheap wine for Amanda's wedding reception in October, where I'll store it I don't know. Also avocados at 32 cents each, some fresh beets, mangoes at 2 for $1, celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, a head of romaine, a daikon radish, cauliflower and broccoli.

Two hours later I stopped at McDonald's in Newaygo and got Cooper an ice cream cone and myself a Diet Coke, and when I got home I made a big salad. (Sigh) Very healthy, I wish I liked salad a little better. Cooper ate the last of the chicken in the fridge.

Last night I left work and went home and made some chicken livers with bacon, steamed some broccoli and ate the rest of the salad.

And now I'm caught up, but no pictures of anything...

Annie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Aw, heck, I forgot the pasta party on Saturday. We did have a chicken broth based soup with some bok choy and pasta stuffed with sweet potatoes. The pasta wasn't really tortellini and wasn't really ravioli, Elery made it, but it was pretty good.

Annie

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Annie, I love it when you share Cooper's meals. Ollie dined on chicken thigh meat, sweet potato, zucchini, peas and green beans.

We had pan grilled pork chops, fresh pineapple, baked potato and steamed green beans.

Turkey sandwiches tonight, from the turkey breast I high heat roasted on Sunday.

Lee

• lorijean44
    14 years ago

I've been eating take-out every night for the last several nights. Too tired to cook when I get home from work!! Now I'm hungry for halibut, stew, quiche... I wish I lived closer to some of you!!

I did, however, manage to try a new recipe for chocolate oatmeal cookies last weekend. They're really good!

Lori :D

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz