SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

My Son Went Off To War Yesterday . . .

lynninnewmexico
13 years ago

. . . if you're a praying person and so inclined, would you say a quick prayer for his safe return? He's no more deserving than any of the other brave men and women that are risking their lives every day for our freedom, but he's my son and I'm so worried for him. His unit arrived in Afghanistan today.

There's a wonderful group of women called the Blue Star Mothers, who get together to raise money and send our troops overseas boxes of treats and necessities every month or so. I'm going to join them, as I think the camaraderie will help me through this stressful time.

DH & I'd heard of their spin-off group, the Gold Star Mothers . . . a group I pray that I never join: moms whose sons and daughters have paid the ultimate sacrifice, with their lives. They're in the process of raising money for a new house they're building in Dover, I believe. A place for families to stay as they fly in from all over the country to greet their loved ones coffins. A warm and hopefully comforting home to stay in. instead of a motel.

Last week, DH & I won a local contest that is raising money for the Blue Star Mothers' Fund. It was a car. Our hearts are both proud and frightened for our son. And, our hearts were also very touched by the grace, dignity and service of these women and of the Gold Star Mothers.

This morning there was a big ceremony in the park to honor the fallen and wounded warriors. We had to be there for the presentation of our prize car. DH & I talked it over and donated our prize to the Gold Star Mothers to raise more money for the house they're building in Dover. If your're ever looking for a very worthy cause, you might check them out. I'm glad we did.

Lynn

Comments (46)

• yborgal
    13 years ago

Our SIL had 2 deployments to Iraq and 2 to Afganistan so I know your concern. I will pray for your son each and every day that he stay safe and return home whole to you and his family and friends. How long is his tour of duty?

God bless him,(and you)

Mona

• graywings123
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sending out positive thoughts for your son and all the other men and women who are defending us. I was thinking today of how we come complacent about being at war. Each new catastrophe that comes along, like the oil spill, steals the headlines from our war effort.

And bless you for your generosity in recycling that car.

• Related Discussions

Went hosta shopping yesterday...

Q

Comments (4)
    Gesila: Baker's Acres is right around the corner from Amity. They call themselves neighbors. Definitely worth a stop. Yes, Wade and Gatton's is amazing. I can spend hours wandering through their gardens. Thousands of mature hosta, all labelled. Their pricing is by the division, so hosta can get quite expensive there, especially if you want a larger one. Sounds like you've been there. Another place to visit is Wade Gardens (Mansfield) Owned by Van Wade's son. Probably my favorite Ohio hosta seller. You can get large(huge) multi division plants for very reasonable prices. They have a good selection, though obviously not as extensive as Wade and Gatton. And if you can go a couple hours further south a very interesting place is Cory's Wildflower Gardens in Chillicothe. Owned and run by 87 year old Mr. Cory for the past ?? years. In a residential, but wooded, area he has 7 acres of hosta and wildflower gardens. He is quite the character. I love to go there. Barb
    ...See More

Went to Bergners yesterday

Q

Comments (3)
    Here's a link to their online store: http://www.bergners.com/?siteID=qBNKlhsBsB4-XpE9r887q_5uDxxBBwKIxA Here is a link that might be useful: Bergner's Dept. Store
    ...See More

Went For Stress Test Yesterday ,Wow

Q

Comments (4)
    Kim, I've had three stress tests done. The first two I ran on a treadmill, the second tine I fell off, luckily not hurt. The third was the "chemical" kind, where they inject you. All three were very unpleasant, to say the least. Glad yours is over. I just got a letter from my transplant center that I need a bunch more tests, mammogram,etc.
    ...See More

Went shopping yesterday...so sad...

Q

Comments (82)
    No, Elmer, let me clarify. I was not talking about distance buying. I was talking about availability. Toilet paper is on the shelf. If you need a new appliance you are going to find that a hit or miss experience. You may be told that there will a wait and uncertainty if it will ever be available at all. The components of most appliances, most clothing and many other things are all dependent on foreign industry and that dreaded supply chain where the raw materials to produce any one component may come from one place in the world and be manufactured in another , before ending up in the place where the finished item is assembled and then is has to be shipped out to where it will be used in the world. In other words, it is a complex and highly convoluted journey from a raw material to a finished product in the showroom or on the rack at the department store or the shelf at Amazon. THAT is the supply chain that has failed. On the retail end of it ,all that we see is but the very tip of the tail, the gleaming new stove, the unworn garment, the brand new bluetooth speaker. Everything in that item, no matter what it is, has had it's origins in obscure places and from obscure sources that one can hardly even imagine. It is not all about the dance between the retailer and the consumer. There is much fancy footwork gone on way before that.
    ...See More
  • neetsiepie
    13 years ago

My prayers will include your son. I have one nephew in Afghanistan right now; DH's cousin's DH is heading back to Iraq soon; BIL's stepdaughters DH is in Afghanistan, and another of DH's cousins is in Iraq, but should be heading home soon.

Your generosity is wonderful. I will definitely look into this organization.

• moonshadow
    13 years ago

Prayers said for your DS Lynn, and a heartfelt "Thank you" to him for his service. I'm not a mom, but my family on my father's side is very service oriented going back generations. Many career members. Since 9/11 we've had 4 young men in our family in constant rotation between Iraq and Afghanistan. They are all in the States now with the exception of one, who just got stationed overseas again. But not in the Middle East this time. It's nerve wracking, even while trying to hang onto our faith (which is human, imho).

Thanks for the heads up on the Blue Star Mothers. I know my family members said they all looked forward to treats and necessities from home, and shared with those who didn't have any family to send them anything. It means a lot to our men and women to be remembered, they said it's a real morale booster.

My thoughts will be with you and your DH as well.

• golddust
    13 years ago

Oh, Lynn... ((((hugs!!!)))) What a generous thing you did, donating the car to the Gold Star Moms.

Of course I'll hold your young man in my heart and prayers. Thank him for me if you get a chance.

Let us know how things are going as you hear...

• kitchenkelly
    13 years ago

I can't even imagine being a parent with a son going off to war. You, your son and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers,

Take care,

Kelly

• User
    13 years ago

Lynn, The program you're joining sounds like a wonderful one and hopefully it will bring you comfort to be involved. Both my daughter and I do something similar through a non profit called SoldiersAngels. We've adopted a soldier together that we send things to on a regular basis. You, your son and family will be in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted as you hear from him. --Lukki

Here is a link that might be useful: Soldiers Angels

• les917
    13 years ago

We will be thinking of your son and keeping him in our hearts, as we do all the people who serve our country so honorably. May he come home to you safe and whole. Please thank him for us.

Your donation of the car was a generous gift that will help so many at such a terrible time. I'm sure that home will be a safe haven for those families experiencing that most horrible of losses.

Let's hope that someday there will be no need for the house, or the Gold Star Mothers, or the loss of precious lives, because we are at peace.

• mitchdesj
    13 years ago

All the best to you and your family, it's a difficult time, may he return soon.

• flyingflower
    13 years ago

My neighbor is very involved with the Blue Star Moms chapter here in northern CA. They give each other a lot of support. By all means you should join! The BSMs put on fund raisers and also collect items to send to the troops overseas. She sends out an email with a list of items they need and everyone on the distribution list goes shopping and brings the food & toiletries to her house. I'm on her list even though I'm not a member of the BSM. At the BSM meeting they divy up the items into boxes and ship them off. They're an amazing group of women. Once a year they put on a huge benefit that is a lot of fun to attend. The meal, raffle items, and silent auction gifts baskets are all donated (you'd be surprised how generous business are when you tell them who it's for). This year their "Spaghetti Feed" raised $10,000! So you can see my friend keeps busy with her BSM activities which helps make the time go a little faster between her son's visits.

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    13 years ago

Heartfelt thoughts of a safe passage home for your son.

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Oh Lynn, my heartfelt thank yous and prayers for your brave son. Having seen my first DH off to war long ago, I am familiar with your fears and worries and can only imagine that it's even worse with one's child.

I am so glad that you have the Blue Star Mothers to work with and for support. You will have a unique understanding with them, and that will help.

Am sending up deep, serious prayers for your son's safe return.

• littledog
    13 years ago

He will be in my prayers. So will you.

• jshore
    13 years ago

Your son and your family will be in my prayers. I hope for his quick and safe return, and I hope you find the support you need (and I certainly would) with the Blue Star Mothers. What a worthwhile group it sounds like!

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

(((Lynn))) my thoughts and wishes for a safe journey and return are with you and your son. The young men and women who make the decision to be part of our military show a resolve and strength that deserves the same from us so we hold our chins up and fight back the tears. Blue Star Mothers sounds like a good place to hang your hat and that was a wonderful donation to the Gold Star Mothers.

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

May God bless and keep your son and bring peace of mind to you and your husband.

What a wonderful charity (Gold Star Mothers) and what a selfless thing you and your husband did for them.

I will put your son in my prayers.

.....Jane

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Lynn, your son (and your family) will be in my prayers. I know you are so proud of him! I am so thankful for him and all our service people.

Our neighbor's son in also in Afghanistan - has been there for some time. We were able to see him during the Christmas holidays - that was so nice.

Thoughts and prayers for your son. Hoping he is soon safely home.

tina

• folkvictorian
    13 years ago

Bless you and your family! You have a lot to be proud of and I'll add your son to my prayers.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

I will. My thoughts echo the words already posted. My heartfelt thanks to you and your son.

• theroselvr
    13 years ago

Those of you with family/children over there, my heart goes out to you. My son wanted to join a few years ago; right before my dad was diagnosed; I was thankful he did not. He has friends that have served.

A few years ago, hub & I sent over some holiday (Christmas) gift bags. I knew someone there who posted what the guys needed. I made 4 bags in total; I sent them to the kid I knew who then shared them. They mostly wanted essentials, lotion, chap-stick, shampoo & conditioner; toothpaste. I also baked.

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

As a mother to two younger boys, I will say a prayer for your son (and the others) and ask for their safe return back home. I can't imagine the worry and anxiousness you must be feeling. A huge thank-you to him and the others for their service.

• teacats
    13 years ago

Sending along best thoughts, hopes and wishes for your wonderful son!

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Lynn I will certainly pray for your son's safe return. I cannot imagine the worry you and every service members' family endure while they are deployed. I have a cousin whose SIL will go in late June. Ugh, I just wish there were no reason to go at all. Keep your chin up Lynn and thank you for supporting our troops through the Blue Star Mothers, I am definitely going to check out both groups online. Also my thanks to your son for his service.

• IdaClaire
    13 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with your son and your family. It is my fervent hope that all who are serving in the Middle East may safely return, and very soon.

• flowerpwr45
    13 years ago

Heartfelt thanks to your son and all others serving our countries, and will be keeping all in my thoughts.

• ttodd
    13 years ago

Lynne - if you see this post would you mind shooting me an e-mail?

What branch is he in?

• awm03
    13 years ago

Lynne, blessings to your precious son & you & family. Though aware of the risks, I am grateful for the brave souls such as your son. (((hugs))) to Lynne & to all with relatives in the services.

• nanny2a
    13 years ago

Lynn, your son and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. As mother to a son who has had one tour to Afghanistan, and three tours to Iraq in the most recent years, I can totally understand your apprehension and concerns. Each time my son left for overseas, a part of me left with him, and I never felt comfortable until he was back on home ground. Full time military service has been his choice for his lifetime career, though, and he has been very well provided for in the USAF.

His C-17 was nationally recognized for their efforts as the first aircraft to provide emergency relief pallets in an airdrop over Haiti this year, and my son said that that mission provided a profound sense of pride. He, and all those other young men and women in the military, have a great sense of responsibility and duty that we are most grateful for.

You have every right to be concerned, yet you also have every right to be very proud of your son's commitment and sense of duty. Do know that I pray for his safety, and the safety of all our military members, each day they serve.

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your kind words, your own experiences with this, and your prayers and positive thoughts. Your support means so much to me . . . more than you can know!
    Lynn

• User
    13 years ago

Saying a prayer for your son and for your family. That was nice that you guys donated the car back. Both groups sound pretty great.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

(((HUGS))) and prayers...

• ruthy1
    13 years ago

My thought and prayers are with your son also!

• texanjana
    13 years ago

Prayers and thoughts sent up. As a mom, I can only imagine how you must feel.

((((Lynn))))

• leahcate
    13 years ago

My heart understands and does ache for you.,....great positive thoughts for his safe return!

• deegw
    13 years ago

Lynn - I thought I already commented in this thread but when I read through I didn't see the post. So, I wanted to say thank you for letting us know about this and I will keep you, your family and especially your son in my thoughts and prayers.

Dee

• anntique
    13 years ago

Adding my voice to the chorus of prayers for your family and especially your son. The young men and women he joins surely represent America's finest as they protect the values and security of those who sent them. We have so much to be grateful for knowing that they are ready, willing and able to serve their country. We are all in their debt, and are grateful for their service. I wish him and all who are with him a safe stay and a speedy return home.

• jlc712
    13 years ago

Hugs to you Lynn... You must be very proud of your son. Sending my most positive thoughts to keep him safe.

I love that you donated the prize car back. What a great thing to do.

Take good care of yourself too. Isn't it amazing how painful motherhood can be?

Jen

• igloochic
    13 years ago

Two things Lyn....first, thank you for sharing the info on the blue and gold star groups. You reminded me that I need to go see a gal who's moved to town recently. She lost her husband (CIA) in Afganistan recently. I got busy with life and haven't gone to see her again and she is such a lovely gal with a beautiful girl I was hoping to marry my son off to someday...I've been preoccupied with me too much lately. You reminded me that the world is so much bigger and our service families should have a special place there. So thank you for that.

And secondly, I pray your dear will come home to you soon Lynn, and that his tour is uneventful if possible. I can't imagine sending my boy off. I want to fly out and give you a huge hug. Thank you for raising a son who has taken on such a valent task Lynn. Loving him must be a great reward of it's own :) I'll bet he's pretty darned proud of his parents as well. He should be!

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all again for your heartfelt posts. I've read and reread every one many times, because they do make me feel so much better. Just this morning, I heard on the news that four more of our brave soldiers were killed in Afghanistan. So now, I've suddenly joined the ranks of families all over our country, whose hearts sank, stomachs clutched and tears flowed, while we all now wait to find out if our loved ones are still safe. Regardless, we mourn every loss of life over there. Each one is someone's beloved son or daughter; someone's dear friend; perhaps someone's spouse or parent. It breaks my heart and I don't think I'll ever really get used to it.
    So, I came back here, once again, to reread all your kind posts. They do really help more than you can imagine.

This house the Gold Star Mothers organization is building in Dover, Delaware, is The Fisher House. I'm adding two links, if anyone is interested in learning more about this incredibly worthwhile project. Again, many, many thanks for your kind words.
    Lynn

"The Gold Star Mother's Website"

"The Dover Fisher House Project"

• johnmari
    13 years ago

Best of luck to your son. Although I'm not a mother I maybe have a tiny inkling of what you're going through since my "baby brother" (Army, 82nd Airborne paratrooper and occasional sniper) spent over a year in Iraq in 2003, right when things were getting really "hot", and we didn't find out until afterwards that he was right in the Sunni Triangle where the worst of the fighting was at that time.

His unit's job was called something like "leapfrogging" (can't remember the exact name) - they set up the bare-bones forward camps for other units to occupy, as soon as the other unit arrived off they went to another spot to set up another camp. They were never in the same place for more than a week or so. They were often ahead of such minor niceties like, oh, their food shipments, tents, cots, etc., but somehow the mail got through, including packages. My mom, sister and I rotated who sent a crammed-full package and who just sent letters, but between the three of us we sent enough stuff to keep his squad (he reached sergeant and squad leader in no time, and most of "his guys" didn't have anyone to send things except lots of "Dear John" letters) fed (yay for dehydrated hiking food and granola bars!) and warm/cool (black mylar blankets that folded up smaller than a pack of playing cards - oh, and wasn't THAT a coveted item, so we sent about 50 packs once and he used them as currency! - and evaporative-cooling neck-bands) as needed. I remember our dining room was the staging area for making up packages, crammed almost to the ceiling because we bought stuff by the case, and people were always confused by the weird range of items, from fly strips to caffeinated mints/gum (the guys would eat the instant coffee from the MREs while on night duty for the caffeine, but it made a lot of them barf).

He didn't reenlist when the time came, since he knew that his unit's stateside time was going to be cut WAY short (like a couple of weeks, not months as is normal) and they were headed for waydahellout in Afghanistan, to do the same dang thing they did in Iraq. Thank heavens he didn't get caught in the whole stop-loss mess.

Your son's unit may have an Internet mailing list or forum for family members. My brother's did, run by the wife of the CO (the only stateside civilian who had contact with the unit) and Mom and I joined in, and if yours does too, join up! We knew about casualties before they were announced to the public, we learned what "the boys" wanted/needed and what they didn't (like we learned that Gatorade mix - a frequent request in the summer - will wreck a Camelbak like nobody's business), we had ALL the scuttlebut. When we found out they were being sent into battle in inadequate body armor (don't GET ME STARTED, but I've heard things are better now) we ganged up, raised money, and bought a bunch of mil-spec vests to ship over. Eventually we knew the names of all the soldiers in the unit, and we'd find out who wasn't getting mail and send him something. And it was also a place where we could vent and cry and talk about how d@mned scared we were...

• golddust
    13 years ago

Lynn, I will be thinking of you and my heart will be sinking every time I hear about another soldier who made the ultimate sacrifice. I can not imagine sending my child off to war after all the trials and tribulations of raising them. If Moms ran countries, would there be wars?

What branch of the military is he serving in?

• sable_ca
    13 years ago

Lynn - Every time I hear of more casualties my stomach turns over. I immediately think of you and the couple of other GardenWeb posters who have children in Iraq and Afghanistan, and so I noted the news this morning. I will continue to pray for your boy's safety and am wishing you the strength to get through this.

Johnmari - What a great post! You have really been through it. What a fantastic thing you did for your brother and his unit. When I worked for and with the military I became very aware of who had loving, caring families that kept in touch, and the others who had no one and in fact, enlisted to get away from bad circumstances at home. Thinking about the whole unit, as you did, was a very fine thing. And, good suggestions for Lynn!

• stinky-gardener
    13 years ago

Lynn, I'll be praying for safety, protection and care for your son and will pray for peace, comfort and strength for you.

I am so impressed with the graceful, dignified way you have responded to your son's deployment. You are admirable for choosing to reach out to others in need & focusing on how you can make valuable contributions to help other soldiers and their families. Good for you!

• OllieJane
    13 years ago

For some reason, everytime I go to or drive by The Mont, (you know where I live, right-HA) I truly think about you and especially your son, who you said on a post long ago, your son frequented. I feel sort of a connection, in some weird way. I have prayed that you and your family are comforted during this trying time and pray especially for you son.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Hi Lynn,
    You and your whole family will be in our prayers. We have a grandson in Afganistan, so I can sympathize with your fears.
    Many blessings to you, and may God hold your son in the palm of His hand, and also give you peace.
    Hugs,
    Jaybird

• judiegal6
    13 years ago

Like everyone else I'll continue to pray for your son and his safe return. I admire you, I just can't imagine going through one of my children leaving for war. You should be so proud. One of my DD's boyfriend will be leaving for Afghanistan in July.