SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
helen22_gw

3/4 or 5/16 or 7/16 solid wood choices?

helen22
16 years ago

I've been on the hunt for the best "color" wood floor to match the palette of most of my wood furniture. Turns out my dining room and living room pieces have a lot of honey gold in them - but I want a darkish brown floor. So far, the best match appears to be with Brazilian Teak or Tiete Chestnut (BR-111 indusparquet is the only one I've looked at so far). Oaks and maples (prestained) simply do not work.

My question has more to do with the thickness than the wood though as I'm pretty much sold on one of these two woods. The BR-111 tiete chestnut only comes in a new 5/16 or 7/16 thickness and I'm a bit skittish about going with that size. Some of my local dealers say we have nothing to worry about, while others say they wouldn't sell it to their customers. I think that the teak comes in 3/4 inch, but my gut (and eyes) tell me that the tiete chestnut is a better look for my decor. My house is newish (13 years old) and as far as I can tell, it's not squeaky. Our family is two adults, two mid-teens and a small dog.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with these newer planks. Does width have anything to do with the durability of a thinner plank? BR-111 promotes the product as greener (less wood needed) and less expensive. It's still a significant investment and I'm hesitant to make a mistake - but love the look. I could keep searching and find a company that produces the chestnut in a 3/4 width, but I really like the dealer that sells the BR-111 thinner plank. Am I driving myself crazy for good reason?

Thanks.

Comments (2)