SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19778555

Should I expect a more detailed estimate than this?

User
10 years ago

Am I being too picky/expecting too much info in a hardwood flooring estimate?

I had two different floor guys to take a look at two areas of the house I just bought:

Room #1 has original oak floors from the early 1960s; we just removed the fireplace and so the space where the hearth was, needs to have oak pieced in. Then sand and refinish the floor.

Area #2 is a combination of 3 bedrooms and the hallway (part of this hallway runs across the opening to room #1 so they are adjacent. The original 1960s oak floor was ruined by the prior owners who screwed more than 50% of the total area down to the subfloor (splitting most of the planks in the process) in a futile effort to stop the floors squeaking. So they covered this area with carpet and we discovered it when we pulled the carpet up. Too much to repair, the oak was ripped up and the subfloor secured properly. So now it needs new oak flooring.

Received the first estimate which says for Area #2 "Install red oak natural" followed by a price for material + labor for "install and finishing".

I was surprised to see red oak quoted because the other guy had commented that the adjacent to-be-repaired-and-refinished floor is white oak.(not sure if he is right or wrong about that, as I am not floor species savvy, LOL). I am not planning to stain any of these floors btw.

Anyway, shouldn't I expect a new-oak-flooring estimate to include the following information:
* width of planks to be installed
* grade of oak (clear, select, or common #1)
* type of sealer/topcoat (oil based or water based)
* how many coats over the sealer (I like as smooth a surface as possible, would love to get prefinished engineered but can't afford the much higher cost over site finished)
... or am I being "too picky" in wanting all that info?

Not sure if the other floor guy's estimate will be any more detailed than this one. Guess I should have asked at the time of inspection but I just assumed that the quotes would have all the above info included, since IMHO it should be important to the homeowner making the decision.

Now I'm wondering if the first guy was correct about the existing room #1 being white oak. Maybe it's red? It does have almost zero knots in it, so I am guessing it's probably Clear or Select. Which means if the quote(s) come in for #1 Common, the new stuff will look awful next to the old ... right?

Comments (15)