Should I feel guilty?

mom2jared

I haven't visited my mom's grave since last September and I almost had the chance this week when I went up to New York for her unveiling of her footstone, but my Dad took ill and everything got cancelled. It was decided by the family that if one of us couldn't go, there was no point in going. I had no say in the matter and I had no way of even getting to the cemetary which was two hours away. Fortunately, some local relatives did the unveiling service for us and even took pictures of the footstone, but I still feel guilty that I wasn't there. My Dad kept telling me to go without him, but I knew in my heart it wasn't the right thing to do because my mother would have wanted me to take care of him.

Everyone keeps telling me that it's just a plot of land and mom wouldn't know if I was there or not, but I still feel guilty.

Please tell me I did the right thing!

SaveComment1Like
Comments (1)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sylviatexas1

"my mother would have wanted me to take care of him."

see there?
You already knew you did the right thing!

Take care of your dear father & take care of yourself;
he's the one she chose to be your daddy, & you're the next link in her chain of life.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Decorating Guides Feel Free to Break Some Decorating Rules
Ditch the dogma about color, style and matching, and watch your rooms come alive
Full Story
Feel-Good Home Keep That Summer Feeling Going at Home
You can get away from it all in your own place, even if it’s just for 20 minutes
Full Story
Life 10 Feel-Better Things to Do on a Sick Day at Home
Nourish, pamper and heal yourself when a cold keeps you housebound, with these restorative ideas
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
We have earned an unrivaled reputation for crafting the finest glasshouses and greenhouses money can buy through... Read More