SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Breakfast For Dinner

triciae
16 years ago

DH finally made it home yesterday morning before the Nor'easter on steroids got really cranked up in New England. He'd been in New Orleans for the week & was scheduled to return Friday night; but his flight went through Tampa & the very nasty weather there kept him grounded in NO so long he missed his connecting flight to T.F. Green (Providence). So, he had to find a hotel in Tampa Friday night. When he got home yesterday, he was very cranky, tired, & said he hadn't had a meal in 30 hours except a bagel at the airport. He wanted breakfast for dinner last night.

I'd posted my recipe for Indian Pudding on Teresa's 'Meals For Seniors' thread & it gave me a craving. So, I decided to create Indian 'Pudding' Pancakes. They were excellent so thought I'd share what I did.

I'm just going to write what I did rather than try to put it in recipe format...

INDIAN 'PUDDING' PANCAKES

1.) In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup very warm water. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon yeast & a pinch of sugar over the top of the water & give a quick whisk. Set aside to get bubbly while preparing the rest of the ingredients.

2.) In a medium-sized bowl, add 1 cup boiling water to 1/2 cup yellow stone-ground cornmeal. Whisk hard to blend & set aside to allow the cornmeal to soak up the water.

3.) In another medium bowl, beat two eggs until light & fluffy. Add 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree, 2 Tablespoons Canola oil (or similar), 1 Tablespoon molasses, & I used about a 1/2 teaspoon of Penzey's 'Apple Pie' spice but a bit of freshly ground nutmeg & cinnamon would work just as well. Stir the pumpkin, oil, & spices into the beaten eggs.

4.) In a medium bowl, add 1 cup AP flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, dash of salt, &

1 Tablespoon sugar. Blend well.

5.) In a bowl large enough to hold the final batter plus some extra room for rising...add the yeast/water; the cornmeal; the eggs/pumpkin/molasses/oil/spice mixture; & whisk hard to incorporate all of the ingredients.

6.) Alternately add the flour mixture & 1 Cup of Buttermilk to the above. Once the dry ingredients & milk are incorporated...give the batter a quick brisk stir but do not overbeat.

7.) Set the batter aside, uncovered, for about 30 minutes giving the yeast a chance to raise the batter a bit. Do not stir during this rest period.

8.) Cook the pancakes on a lightly buttered griddle. Be careful as you scoop batter not to deflate.

The pancakes are very light & airy with just a hint of pumpkin & spices. The yeast was enough to really lighten the cornmeal.

While I was making the pancakes, I put some pure maple syrup & some butter in a saucepan allowing it to simmer long enough to melt the butter & sightly thicken.

I served with grilled ham steak & garnished with fresh orange slices.

DH was back to his normal happy self & the house smelled like Indian Pudding!

/tricia

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County