SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mid_tn_mama

Fast, frugal breakfasts

mid_tn_mama
20 years ago

I start the family oatmeal the night before in the crockpot and wahlah! It's done the next morning. Use old fashioned oats and add a bit more water to compensate for evaporation. This would work for any cooked cereal. The leftover cereal is used later in bread baking.

--------------

I make this light bisquit dough to use for several days breakfasts and dinners through the week:

Light Biscuit dough for a week:

3 cups Whole Wheat flour

2 cups white flour

5 tsp baking powder

1 tsp baking soda

1 cup shortening

2 cups buttermilk (or two tbsp vinegar in two cups milk)

1 pkg dry yeast dissolved in 1/4 cup lukewarm butter

Cut shortening in to dry ingredients. Add dissolved yeast to buttermilk. Mix these in with dry ingredients until dough formed. Make into biscuits and bake for 15 minutes at 375 degrees. Refrigerate the rest for up to a week.

I keep leftover bacon/sausage in a zip lock bag in the freezer that is used later in the week with leftover bread/bisquits/muffins/cheese to make an egg casserole.

Trying to do better about having fruit with each meal--buying large cans of fruit that can just be scooped out of a plastic bowl each morning.

Make a double batch of muffins (one half is enough for two breakfasts and the rest are individually wrapped for kid snacks--with peanut butter added before it's put in the lunch box)

OK--any other ideas?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths